• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

removing icons that are considered permanent on desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

Is there a way to remove the "My Network Places" icon that's on the desktop? I'm currently doing a little fun project byself by making all the icons on my desktop the same (except my computer and recycle bin) the same as my background. I just want to humor myself. :)

not sure what windows your running but heres how to do it on xp

right click > properties > desktop: then there will be a customize desktop

Start | Run | Type gpedit.msc | User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Desktop | Right click "Hide My Network Places icon on desktop" and select "Properties" | Under the "Setting" tab, select "Enabled" (you may need to log off and then back on for the change to take effect).

I believe this change adds a DWORD to two specific Registry Keys...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Policies | Explorer

New Value= 01000000
Value Name= NoNetHood

HKEY_USERS | S-1-5-21-1409082233-2146866087-1801674531-1108 | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Policies | Explorer

New Value= 01000000
Value Name= NoNetHood ;)

xp can hide all the icon in Right Click > Show Icon In Desktop :)

not sure about 2000

Thanks alot guys. redduc900's tip made the "My network Places" go away just like i wanted it to. I also downloaded the tweakui just in case it pops back up in the future though lol. Thanks again. Now my desktop icons and background are all the same pic!

here's what I liked to do, while on the desktop hide the toolbar and hit the print screen button. Now open paint and paste it and save it. Then make that picture your desktop. you can now delete all your shortcuts and wait for a family member to get on the computer and wonder why the shortcuts sunddenly aren't working :)

hehe i've done about 75% of that but i'm the only one who uses this computer so i guess i'll just wait whenever i invite my friends over to use it. That'd be the day. :D

heh we did that too one of my friend, only we just did it to one of the icons. It was a game that this guy plays constantly so we took a screen shot and just got rid of that one icon....he musta been goin crazy for like 10 mins...it was too funny.

Another funny thing to do is to change the targets for the shortcuts so they open something weird like notepad, or something like that....lol

Back