• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help this noob plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

siavash_s_s

i am running an xp 2200 on an msi kt4 ultra mobo. the fsb currently is set at 133. know i want to know, what does it mean when the box advertises "FSB 333" , does this mean the board ca support that, or that the board can go up 166 fsb resulting in 333 for ddr ram?? if im completely off yell, then tell me how to go about getting this fast as it can go.. thnx
also another thing is my 2200 has thel1 bridges intact, but not connection, but i can still access the multiplier in the bios

another bit to stick onto this now would be about this statement-
"For example, if the RAM is DDR 333, this means that it can perform at a speed of 333 MHz. But DDR RAM is double pumped, so if it was running at a 1:1 ratio with the Front Side Bus at 133, the RAM would be at 266 MHz" by Craig Garbella in the tutorials bot of overclockers.com, when he sais the ddr ram is 333 mhz, then does that mean 333 is max AFTER it has been doubled so it is infact 166 fsb, or is that 333 mhz fsb which then ddrs into 666??

333 fsb, I wish... :)

You had it right the first time. FSB of 166mhz results in a memory speed of 166 if you are running sync. Then the memory mhz X2, hence ddr, so you get 166x2= 333mhz.

The board officially supports a 166 FSB, but you'll most likely easily get the FSB up to 190 or so like I did. Just don't go too high or you'll corrupt your hard drive in an instant since your board doesn't have a PCI lock. 192 or lower should be safe.

Your processor is unlocked; all Thoroughbreds are. However, the 5th multiplier bit is set, which means that with a board like the KT4 Ultra you most likely won't be able to access any multipliers below 13x without modding the chip. (maybe a pin mod would work)

333 FSB? Only with Canterwood, my friend... ;)

Back