• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with XP or my 2500+???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hedgehogforprez

Well, I decided to give higher fsb a try at the same speed, went to 220x10.5, would be the same speed I though, wouldn't matter, if it didn't work then back to the drawing board. Well I do that and get into windows, but it wasn't stable...Odd I think, I look in my bios and realise I need to up the volts on my NB, do that and reboot....doesn't get all the way into windows, I am missing explorer, all I can do on this machine even at stock speeds is get into task manager to run programs. Can someone help me out here, is a reformat in order?

Sounds like you forgot the lock the PCI bus to 33MHz and buggered up your windows install. IF that the case then you'll have to reinstall windows. Try for a reinstall overtop your current install of the OS first.

That is weird... even if you hadn't locked the PCI bus, the 1/6 divider should've kicked in and your PCI bus should've been 36.6mhz which is perfectly OK. If your board only has a 1/5 divider, then your PCI bus would've been 44 and you wouldn't have been able to boot at all. Maybe your hard drive is just weak and can't handle overclocking.

Before reinstalling windows, do check whether the lock is on. You're probably going to have to reinstall anyway, though.

Nforce2 pci bus' are locked. I have no idea what happend but when I tried to go into safe mode it hung on some driver named mup.sys. When I get back from work I wil just re-install, I am worried about losing a lot of my important e-mail right now so I will not even attempt to format yet =\

I don't think that your HD is corrupted. It sounds to me like your memory is being pushed too hard; 7-2-2-2 is rather tight, try 7-3-3-2 and increase the vDimm a bit.

Hedgehogforprez said:
Nforce2 pci bus' are locked.
Not always... not only do not all boards have a feature, but all lockable boards also have an option to use good ol' fashioned dividers.

Back