• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP cant load personal profile

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ferg

When i start up XP it tells me that my personal profile cannot be loaded because of either security reasons or it is corrupted. Then it loads the "default" profile which has none of my programs in the start menu and has none of my settings loaded. When i go to user accounts in the control panel I can still see my profile, but when i log off and try to log in as that profile it gives me the same message. any help would be appreciated.

well for some reason after about 5 restarts it just went away. now i just hope it doesnt come back

A quick and dirty fix that works most of the time for corrupted profiles in w2k and XP is to delete the NTUSER.DAT and NTUSER.DAT.LOG files for the troubled profile.

If it happens again, go to C:\Documents and Settings\"Troubled user name" and you'll see the two files down at the bottom. However, if you delete these two files you'll have to set up your shortcuts again.

Wedo

thanks for the advice, if happens again ill know what to do at least

Back