• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel Single or Pair?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One is not always better then two.

Duel-Channel does give a good performance boost. But if you wish to have more memory, for games and such, and are not so interested in oc'ing then you could buy 512MB now, then later on buy an indentical 512MB module. This is a little bit risky if you really want Duel-Channel operation, as the line of memory might change or you might get a differant chip/ect.

hmm, i'm gonna disagree, I say go with 2 for dual channel, if your board only has 3 DIMMS and your planning on upgrading to 1gb soon (within say 3 months) then maybe go with 1 512 stick. Dual channel is the way to go, AMD or Intel.

I am inclined to shy away from prioritzing dual channel on AMD based computers, although it does have its benefits, I would say 512 now, another 512 when you can and reap the benefits of dual channel then - I think it would be wise to leave much more upgradability with your pc, have two slots being used with 256 may seem the good plan now, but when you really need to get the mem amount high in the future you will curse the day :santa2:

Last edited:
ajrettke said:
hmm, i'm gonna disagree, I say go with 2 for dual channel, if your board only has 3 DIMMS and your planning on upgrading to 1gb soon (within say 3 months) then maybe go with 1 512 stick. Dual channel is the way to go, AMD or Intel.
:)

Ok, I'm a little confused. So if I only get one stick of memory then I will not be utilizing the dual channel function?

remember this though if you decide to go dual channel and get 2 256 and decide to get more ram later one.. then you cant run it dual channel again ;d it has to be 2 of the same size stick and brand.

so if you want more ram later ex 1 gb.. get 1 stick of 512 and get another one later.. but if 512 is all you're gonna need and will stick to then get 2 256

cherry...that is wrong.

Your sticks don't have to be the same brand AND (this'll surprise you) the same size. You can have a 512 and 256 stick and run dual channel. However, only 512 of rhte 768 will be DC speeds. The 8rda3+ is the only nforce board with 4 DIMM slots. cherry is right though about 2x256 and then wanting to upgrade to 1 gig soon...that's why in my post I said if your going to want to upgrade soon and only have 3 dimm slots go for the 512 stick.

Also be realistic...a lot of people say well when you upgrade blah blah blah. But really when you do an upgrade your probably gonna do the mobo too since in a year it'll be obsolete anyway.

Also Think about this:
Someone tells you to get one stick of 512 and run single channel for a long time until you upgrade your RAM, then you can run dual channel. 2x256 you get to run dual channel for a long time and then if you upgrade you won't have dual channel...either way your gonna have dual channel for a little bit, then a little while without. So the argument about the upgrade is moot.

From what I've read/heard Duel-Channel operation can be quite picky. While it is possible for 512MB/256MB combination, assembled by the same company, might run in Duel-Channel operation, it is unlikely.

Tests at AnandTech have shown that for unmatched memory performance can be as off as nearly 25% over matched memory.

i am waiting for the last few parts of my comp to come in, and have 2x512 sticks of ram and an nforce mobo.

the sticks were not marketed as "dual channel"

can i / how can i run them that way.

thx everyone.

For both "duel-channel kits" and 2 modules of the same-type memory, to enable duel-channel you have to place them into the DIMM slots according to your motherboard. The DIMM slots might be color coated, or labeled. If your not sure, check your motherboard's owner manual.

n3lson said:
i am waiting for the last few parts of my comp to come in, and have 2x512 sticks of ram and an nforce mobo.

the sticks were not marketed as "dual channel"

can i / how can i run them that way.

thx everyone.

The mobo has to be dual channel enabled the memory doesnt matter as far as I know.

I was under the impression that one stick could overclock farther than two because you are limited to the one sticks highest settings even if the other has more room for an overclock

that is true glitch. But I believe it's not quite as true nowadays. See the 256 DIMM's use less dense memory chips (usualy) which can usualy go higher, so it kind of balances out.

Another major problem with dual channel and really high FSBspeeds is the chipset simply can't handle it. To see if this is an issue just put the 2 DIMM's in single channel DIMM slots and see if you can higher or not.

ajrettke said:
The 8rda3+ is the only nforce board with 4 DIMM slots

Huh? I know of more that do, for one my Gigabyte Ga-7n400L1 board has 4, and Im pretty sure all of the Ga-7n400 boards have 4 slots.

hmm I have the same question kinda too. I'm going to overclock but i currently only have 1 stik of 512. Don't know if i should upgrade or not i'm so confused

Back