• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC4200 Is Here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
GeIL PC4200 has been out for a short while now. It's their PC4000 chip overclocked to 266MHz speeds. It's a 3.5ns chip which approaches the chips used in top Radeon 9800 video cards.

GEIL continues to amaze me. Other companies keep claiming they have the fastest modules out on the market first, but little old GEIL always has the fastest, and actually out first.

Props to Golden Emperor.

When they first hit the market, they seemed to be hit or miss. Ive had 2 sets since then and theyve bothe performed well above spec on my amd platforms, which were the problem platforms to begin with. From what Ive heard they worked alot with Abit to try and smooth out problems, which is why they work really well with both amd and intel chipsets now.

I say "well" considering they now list chipset support on their website, offer warrantys and neither I or friends whove bought from them have had any probs within the past 8 months.

They announced this, middle of last week. With GEIL products, it takes about a week to two weeks to hit shelves. Expect it oin OCsystem.com first and then Newegg and everywhere else a week or so after that.

This stuff is already being sold, but only in Duel-Channel Paired-Kits.

The PC4000 (DDR500) runs 3.5ns GeIL chips, with a timing of a relatively low 2.5-4-4-7. (other makers are running CL 3.0)

The PC4200 (DDR533) is an overclocked 3.5ns (and I say overclocked only b/c its the same chip in their DDR500, but a 3.5ns chip is rated to run at DDR570) GeIL chip. It has a higher timing timing-rating then the PC4000, at 3-4-4-8. (the same as Corsair/Kingston DDR500)

This isn't GeIL's Golden Dragon-series stuff, and doesn't use their WLCSP-packaging. You can get a 1 GB Kit (2x512MB) at GameVE.com for only $307, or a 512MB Kit (2x256MB) at GameVE.com for $153.

(As of Now, GeIL's DDR500/533 Duel-Channel Ultra Platinum Kits are the cheapest PC4000+ memory you can get, while also having the lowest timings and the fastest-rated chips.)

cherryp00t said:
is it realy worth it to shell out premium prices for these sticks?? =d

Personally, I dont find $170 for high speed 512mb paired sticks too bad at all. Especially when the PC4000 runs at a lower latency than the other competitors.

Is it worth it to shell out $324 for 1GB Kit (2x512MB) of Mushkin PC3200 Black LVL2 memory just because it has WinBond BH-5 chips?

Asking if it is worth it to spend $308 for 1GB Kit (2xMB) of GeIL PC4000 Ultra-Platinum memory just because it has amazing :) 3.5ns-chips will in most cases result in a form of a hell no answer. But for those who wants memory that is top-notch, they will say something along the lines of a sure, of course, and it doesn't hurt if they also happen to fall into that $100,000+ per person income catagory.

Speed_Mechanic said:
This stuff is already being sold, but only in Duel-Channel Paired-Kits.

(As of Now, GeIL's DDR500/533 Duel-Channel Ultra Platinum Kits are the cheapest PC4000+ memory you can get, while also having the lowest timings and the fastest-rated chips.)

Where are thtey being sold at? I was ready to plop down $380 for some Corsair pc4000 2x512=1gig for $380 at newegg until I saw this.

GameVE.Com has GeIL's 1GB Kit (2x512MB) of PC4000 (DDR500) Ultra-Platinum memory that uses their 3.5ns-chip. While PC4200 is not up at GameVE right now, the GeIL DDR500 Ultra-Platinum uses the same 3.5ns-chip (the PC4200 is overclocked stuff).

Keep in (the back of your) mind that GeIL has had some troubles in the past with compatibility with their older (cheaper) plain Ultra-series PC3200 (DDR400). Their Golden Dragon stuff, however, was top-notch. Their PC4000/PC4200 doesn't use their WLCSP-technology, but anything with a 3.5ns-chip will run great if it doesn't run into any snags.

A 3.5ns-chip is rated for (1000/3.5) 285MHz FSB. That means a speed of DDR570! The only other stuff that can keep up with that are ADATA's PC4000, which has reportedly seen speeds of DDR600, but only in ultra-cooled super OC rigs.

OCsystem.com and Newegg both carry Geil PC4000 Ultra Platinum sticks. The PC4200 was just announced recently, so I doubt well see it for a week or two.

My 2c
I'm in the market for memory now so I've been doing alot of research on it during the RMA process. Up untill now I was set on getting OCZ Gold4000. This memory seems like it would be great for my Intel rig. Geil claims to have worked with the Asus engineers during it's design for compatibility assurence, and they offer a warrenty as well. As you can tell I'm rather undecided due to the lack of reviews/bench postings. It is cheaper and would run cooler, but why are'nt more people using this stuff than?

@Fushyuguru:
Is it the same type though?

cypher_138 said:
My 2c
I'm in the market for memory now so I've been doing alot of research on it during the RMA process. Up untill now I was set on getting OCZ Gold4000. This memory seems like it would be great for my Intel rig. Geil claims to have worked with the Asus engineers during it's design for compatibility assurence, and they offer a warrenty as well. As you can tell I'm rather undecided due to the lack of reviews/bench postings. It is cheaper and would run cooler, but why are'nt more people using this stuff than?

I wonder the same thing. After buying two dual ddr kits from them, Im hooked. This stuff rocks, especially for the price. No one can beat it.

I can only explain away the lack of widespread use on several things Ive heard.

1. The incompatabilities back when Geil was just creeping into the performance market.
2.The rumers that Geil ram was OCZ back during whatever ocz scandal there was. (dont ask me, ive only heard things).
3.The pubescence of the company.
4.The lack of heavy mainstream advertising.

If anybody else has any insight, Id love to hear it.

EDIT: Oh and the stuff at Newegg and Ocsystem, its all the same. Geil has two different types of modules in its high end product line. They have the Ultra Platinum line (usually the first to hit the highest speeds), and the new Ultra Dragon series with the new chip packaging. The highest speeds of the Ultra Dragon kits is only pc 3700. The PC4200 is Ultra Plarinum, as well as the PC4000. I assume, if they continue to make product the way they have been, PC4000 Ultra Dragon will be comming soon.

Most people don't have the $300 to spend on memory, or $160 to spend spend on 512MB. But GeIL does have somewhat of a bad rep, due mainly to their seemingly ill-conceived Ultra series. Most enthusiasts bought these things up because they promised low timings at a low, low price, and then were dissapointed because of their lack of compatibility with many motherboards. While most OC'ers who bought the Golden Dragon series have had nothing but good to say about them.

The main reason GeIL memory is cheap is because they don't have to go into the open market to buy their chips. They manufacture their own chips, which is a big help to a memory company (just ask Mushkin workers).

If I had the cash, and the will to spend said cash, and was in the market for guarenteed DDR500 I would buy GeIL's.

BTW, Ill just mention, that ive been heavily looking at the Geil PC4000 sticks, much more now that Newegg sells them also. I like the idea that their sticks are running at cl2.5, not cl3.

Also, in the past Ive owned sticks of PC3200 ultra platinum used on a Epox 8k5a2+. No problems. I never Oc'ed these sticks past advertised.

I also bought a dual ddr kit of pc3500 dragon used in an Epox 8rda. No problems, also did 17mhz higher fsb than advertised, though thats as far as i pushed it.

Im not trying to discount any problems there were with Geil ram, but I do know theyve done alot of work on fixing it, and I think were in the clear from now on.

Hopes this experience helps out.

It helps alot...Thanks. I'll see what happens between now and Friday. I spent like $350 on the Corsair so the refund would fully cover it. Are they double sided modules?

Back