• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Install heatsink = remove MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

feyo

Registered
I just built my first system and it was running a bit on the warm side (~45 idle and 57 loaded), so I purchased the SK-7 with an 80 mm TT smartfan II.

It just arrived in the mail today and I wanted to install it tonight. I started wondering whether I had to remove the MB in order to install it. I realize it's probably the safe thing to do, but how unsafe would it be if I didn't?

Thanks

I installed my heatsink without taking my mb out. All I did was take out the psu because it gets in my way.

You can do it safely enough... as long as your case has enough room to get your hands in their nicely. It is usually PREFERRRED to install it with the motherboard outside, as you can almost *always* get a better mount this way. And... if you go back and read about 40% of every post in this forum, the most common mistake people make with heatsinks is they mount it once and then they are done. The most common *answer* to people complaining about hot temps is "remount your heatsink." Get it right the first time and you won't have this problem.

Removing the motherboard before you install the heatsink makes this so much easier.

yes.. do it outside dont be lazy and put in the extra time.. you can have so mcuh more rooma nd usually mount the heatsink 100x better def worth the time.. and it dont even take that long anyways.. extra 5-10 mins.. which is nothing really =d

one time i was about to try to unmount my heatsink with the motherboard in. i almost slipped an hit the motherboard(wouldn't have mattered though cuz it was doa). anyways i can tell you its a lot easier to put on and off outside the case. and you can look and see if the hs is level too.

unless a heatsink uses motherboard holes for mounting, then it's ok to mount it while inside the case

why would you remove the mobo to mount an SK7?

Get off your lazy a$$ and take out the mobo. j/k No one likes doing it, but it is the safest and smartest way to mount a heatsink. Just my 2 cents :)

Yeah, I had to mount my Zalman 7000-AlCu. And you HAVE to take it out or atleast put the case on its side (which I can't do), so that ****ed me off. But I'm getting very good temps now so it's fine.

I always remount my AX-7 without taking the mobo out of the case...too much trouble. Just detach the PSU and swing it out of the way, gives you plenty of room to work and saves alot of time...

Firm believer in the "Kiss Principle" - Keep It Simple Stupid

:D

Hmmm...interesting. I have no problems with anything being in my way in terms of installing my SLK-800A while it's in the case with the PSU mounted. Just make sure you mount the fan AFTER you get the SK-7 on the socket. I made the mistake of trying to get the SLK-800 off while I had the fan on it. Of course, I didn't get the screwdriver in there nicely and slipped & hit the motherboard. Nothing happened to it, thank goodness, but I learned my lesson. Never try to mount an SLK/SK with the fan clipped on it. :D

Back