• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sk-7 fan mounting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bk94si

I don't know if it is in my head but I was thinking about the "dead" spot in the center of the fan being right over the processor and I decided that on an SK-7 there is really no reason the center of the fan has to be right over the center of the heatsink. I moved it over as far as it would go and as a side benefit, it is blowing on the northbridge also now. It think the CPU temp went down 1-2 degrees but I'm not sure. Any thoughts on this?

it shouldnt really matter.. as long as the fan is blowing onto the heatsink.

heat is transfered from hot areas to cold areas.. the greater the difference the faster the heat is transferred.. so if you manage to keep the sides cool then the heat is pulled quickly from the center of the heatsink.

yes it does matter. If u take heat away as fast as u can it is better. Heat originates at the center of the heatsink and then slowly spreads to the sides. By taking heat away from the center ur taking heat away from the root. Thats why people even go direct die water cooling instead of letting the heat go thru a water block first.

true, but now the heatsink isn't getting as much airflow through it even if the deadspot is no longer in the middle.

I think it is still getting just as much air flow since it overhangs the sides of the heatsink anyway. I just have all the overhang on one side now and it is flush on the other side. :)

Back