• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

10 X better TIM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I see a market opportunity

Buy a chip and have the heat sink or waterblock of choice welded on.

From the company's website it looks like all you need is a spark to light it off to weld it.

I see limitations, ie...you bond/weld your heatsink/waterblock onto the chip, chip dies, how do you get it off. Do you throw away your heatsink/waterblock with the dead chip?

It's only solder if the chip is dead what do you care? use a hotplate, torch. Break it off and sand off any remaining , half a dozen ways to get it off

Mmm....ya'll leave the pins in the socket, right?:rolleyes:
Or do you guy's buy a new socket and solder it yourself? (I probably could...but do you?).

I mean how do you get the lever up w/o removing the HSF?

Good point - But silicon is like glass, a couple of twists, rock it back and forth a couple of times and the chip will turn to sand

MILLTHERM said:
Good point - But silicon is like glass, a couple of twists, rock it back and forth a couple of times and the chip will turn to sand

Mmm I once bought an Asus P5B-A (not sure about the type..it was a SS7 ATX MOBO) after I had some good experience with AMD CPU's/MOBO's (Before, my first PI (K5 PR75), I was P'd off at AMD) I decided to sell my AT MOBO (P5A orso) and K6-II(?)400, well after it ran for 5 hours (Q3) it hung...tried all I could think off...took it back..guys at the store wanted to have a look....bad PSU...new PSU...still the same...took it back again....NO WAY they could get the HSF off...uhh w/o using a flathead screwdriver.

While I bought a PIII 733 back then and let them have the MOBO+CPU, I'm sure they've cut some traces on the mobo, and if a normal thermal pad can hold a HS like that on the CPU, I'm sure it takes MUCH more force to get a CPU that's welded...

Never mind...I think you're thinking of AMD CPU's...then you're right, and you might be able to pull it off with the IHS Intel CPU's...although I heard it's hard to get the IHS off.

How would this compare to the carbon black tim that the engineer in the east made (near new york-- i dont really want to look it up- recent though)

I assume that you can solder direct to the silicon which would be a major cooling advantage.

The obvious strategy would to put on the largest heat sink possible, Thermalright or whatever. if the fan fails change the fan that would about the only option.

Clamp your heat sink down and light it off and you are set' for good

This stuff burns 15-20 ft per second as I smoke I am not sure I would want a couple of cases around I would probably end up welding myself to the wall

i think there are limitations. if ceramique can do 5C drop i doubt this stuff could do for examp 50C drop. itll probably only drop like 7-10C at most. even though thats a huge breakthrough

A good application would be to bond the heat spreader on the P4 to the silicon. AMD could use this to. If we had a decent heat spreader even, permanently attached, that would go a long way towards making our heat sinks more effective. I would try bonding a 1/4" thick copper plate and then adding my water cooling on top with good grease.

Altough, as long as AMD chips stay cheap (I paid $50 for my 1700+) I suppose I could just build a water block and bond it on. But if taking it off kills the CPU it would make you decision to bond pretty crucial, $50 is still $50. I wonder if the CPU maker would sell them pre-bonded to their stock HSF's that would be bad news.

O

One of the things most folks don’t realize is modern CPUs have multiple heat sources. Depending on the task, the CPU will heat up in different areas. This causes the core to flex. Imagine the top of the core as a little like the surface of a waterbed. Here’s a paper from Intel that illustrates the concept.

While the heat generated on a specific part of the die is dissipated to the surrounding silicon as well as to the package, the inefficiency of heat transfer in silicon and between the die and the package results in temperature gradients across the surface of the die. Therefore, while one area of the die may have a temperature well below the design point, another area of the die may exceed the maximum temperature at which the design will function reliably.

If a heatspreader is soldered directly to the core, the core will eventually crack from the stress.

If a heatspreader is soldered directly to the core, the core will eventually crack from the stress.

Maybe thermal stresses are lower due to lower temps.

the TIM could expand and cotract with the die.

another concern about direct die come from those that tried lapping the die and killed thier chips due to damage to the diffused silicon junction, probably only a few thouanths thick.

Back