• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper sink cleaning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

Hey guys! I just bought a Swiftech MCXC370, the same one AMD Phreak bought for his, only I got mine for half the price ;). Anyway, I got the demonstration model, which is in perfect condition, aside from some small scratches on the base (not where the die sits), and some tarnishing. How do I go about buffing this baby up again?

BTW, I ordered an Athlon TBird 1.1GHz yesterday. Now I have a good cooler. All that's left is RAM. But hey, I'm an AMD Phreak too ^_^. Actually, I'm going to miss this Celeron, as much as it can do, but it'll be my second computer if the AMD fails.

~C.P.

i just use some ketchup. then i wash it with soap and water. i would use some rubber gloves or something so you dont get you oils on the copper cuz if you touch it , it will tarnish.

Thanks for the info man! It came out great. AMD Phreak said he'll pickup some tarnish remover for when he comes over tommorw and we'll take some of the harder to remove spots. But yeah. From now on, when I clean this cooler, I'm going to use ketchup :).

that was the most absurd thing ive ever read....but it makes so much sense at the same time....i woulda never thunk ketchup would remove tarnish from copper....thanks for the insight....i might even go clean off my old waterblock thats not in use...just to test my ketchup skillz

Hehe, definately. I noticed on my older bro's two Copper sinks that there seemed to be mold growing between the fins, before I brought anything close to it. Does he have a moisture problem or something with his computer? It looks like it's been there for at least half a month or so.

Copper cleaner would be more efective I think, but this is a cheap, inexpensive way of getting it done :).

yeah, sooner or later i gotta run beer as coolant and use cereal for insulating my peltiers...

and man them marshmellows sure do great as sound/vibration absorbers....

fafnir said:
yeah, sooner or later i gotta run beer as coolant and use cereal for insulating my peltiers...

and man them marshmellows sure do great as sound/vibration absorbers....

Got to be careful what cereal you use cause you may not get a good seal with cherios.

Also, be careful about having friends around your comp. It'd not be real good if they used your pump to get a high flow rate into their mouth. :beer:

Katsup? What do you suppose in it does the dirty work?

Hey if you ever get a copper robot you know what to feed him!

Cleaning copper the real way and cheap way is using vinegar + salt. That's whats in the ketchup and I believe the tabasco sauce. Though I still like to use tabasco sauce cause it smells better :D

Back