• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot running 2400+? Cant be this much hotter than my 1900+ can it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raventy

Ok I have this pc (stats in sig) which had an athlon xp 1900+ on a Gigabyte 7RVXP kt333 mobo all cooled on a Koolance Water cooled system. Now the temps under load were around 38C and 36C idle. (Even less durring winter) But today I had just gotten an Athlon XP 2400+ and I decided to stick it in there. Now under Load im getting temps in the 50s! and high 40's idle! I am currently not home right now but I do have the pc stress testing so for all I know, the temps could be even higher. Are Athlon XP 2400+'s supose to be really this much hotter running than 1900+'s? (I wouldnt think so). Im getting these temp readings via CompuNurse temp reader and not the mobo's so the temps are accurate... maybe ill try remounting the cpu or somthing? Any input would help because these temps are rediculous under my water setup! Thanks!!

I installed a friend's retail 1800+ a few months ago and it came with a pretty standard looking aluminum block. My retail 2500+ came with a huge aluminum/copper block hsf.

I realise our chips are different (mine is a Barton) but
I'm guessing high numbers do in fact run hotter. Gee those numbers are worse than my near silent aircooling.

yea 54C Load on WATER!!!..... something cant be right... i mean my 1900+ OCed a little didnt even get into the high 40's! My 1900+ at reg speed had temps around 36Load so this 18C increase is kindove rediculus especially under water! Ill try remounting and see if that helps at all.

well remounting it did nothing and windows isnt having too good of a time so im going to format the HD (it needed one anyway). Man these temps are kindove high though.. not like b4. Anyone think that the temp probe might be causing the cpu to not sit flush against the core and causing the high temps? or if that was the case would the temps be ALOT higher?

well I made a few adjustments and after the AS3 settled temps got a little better. Now 47C under load. Temps should be better but for now since im not overclocking this proc or anything I wont complain. :p

rrighttttt. I wrote koolance about this problem and heres what they said:

Hello,

Your system temp is not normal.

Please disassemble your CPU cooler and clean contact side (bottom of CPU cooler) with WD40.

And also clean your CPU’s chip and put just a little of compound.

Before reinstall your cooler,

Please check tension screw spot on CPU-200G cooler.

Thank you

KOOLANCE,INC / Tech Dept.

I have only a small amount of thermal compound on the cpu cooler but ill try re-appling and cleaning it. Interesting.... maybe I have some odd "hot" athlon 2400.

yea they are a bit on the high side, those two Cpu's put out about the same watts, the 2400 should be cooler. i would say clean out the water cooling rig, make sure the Radiator is dust free, and so forth. another thing, Mayeb you should check the voltige thats it's running at. maybe you changed it without knowing. Maybe it's running at 1.75 instead of the 1.65 it's suppose to run at. just a thought

hhmm currently voltage is at: "1.680" so that seems ok. I removed the cooler from the cpu and cleaned it off with some isopropyl alcohol and reapplied some AS3. I had just replaced the water around 3 weeks ago when I had the XP 1900+ in there so that should be good. Odd though cause my temps were fine and only shot up when I put this new cpu in. Right now with the stuff I did the temps are 45 Idle and 47 Load. Not bad temps in general but for water they should be a little lower. Maybe im lucky and have a "hot" athlon 2400+ :p

my 2400+ ran hot whe i got it but now it no longer does i didnt change anything still have the same cooling as when i got it but after a week or so i think my as3 settled and now my temps are 32c on air cooled with a volcano 7 and 80mm tornado

Back