• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Active Directory problem and question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KraziKid

I have recently set up an Active Directory domain, and have a problem, and a question. The server is running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise. First the question:

I installed adminpak.msi on my Windows XP Pro workstation, so I can manage the server from that local computer without having to start a Remote Desktop session. When I went to the dsa.msc snap in (Active Directory Users and Computers) and then go to edit a users properties, I noticed something odd. After I right clicked on any user, the properties pane was missing the dial-up tab. I need to manage this property to control the VPN access. The user I was using has Domain admin and the server local admin rights. I have this tab when using the server directly, or remote desktop, but not on the Windows XP box. I also tried copying dsa.msc from the Windows Server 2003 box to the Windows XP box, and the Dial-Up tab is still missing. Does anyone know why? and does anyone know of a fix?

And now for the problem:

I went to configure Romaing Profiles and am hitting a snag in the road. I created a share on the Windows Server Box. This share is \\server\Profiles. I set the Profiles share to allow all users Full Control (for testing purposes). I then created a subdirectory for the test user. I then set the test users profile path to \\server\Profiles\test. I am able to log in fine, but then when I go to log out, I get this error (Taken from the Event Viewer):
Windows cannot update your roaming profile. Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - Access is denied.
and this error:
Windows cannot copy file C:\Documents and Settings\test\NTUSER.DAT to location \\server\Profiles\test\NTUSER.DAT. Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - Access is denied.

The first error has an EventID of 1504, and the second has an EventID for 1509. I tried resetting all the security settings, ownership properties, and anything I could think of for \\server\Profiles\test. I have hit a brick wall, and cannot get up. Does anyone know what is wrong? The server, as I said, is running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, and the workstation is running Windows XP Pro SP1. Both have all hotfixes. I found a similar problem on google, and the person said it was related to the WebClient service. I tried stopping it, disabling it, then rebooting, and it still doesn't work. Can anyone help me?

Sorry about the sextuple post. oc-forums just stopped responding, and then I was greeted with a wonderful sextuple post. Mods can you fix that, and only keep this thread?

Back