• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nForce boards and game incompatability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TinyTim

Registered
I'm not sure if anyone here can help with this, but I'll give it a shot. I play a MMORPG called Legend of Mir. Starting about a year ago, they switched to a new ISP called FastWeb. Ever since then, users with nForce based boards get randomly disconnected with an error "Code 10000" which in this case usually denotes lag issues. However, most of these users never experience "lag" but still get randomly disconnected. The problem has been narrowed down to systems running Windows 2000/XP on any service pack and an nForce motherboard.

So I'm asking if anyone has any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Some solutions that have worked for some players are:
-lowering their FSB 3-4 MHz
-disabling ingame sound
-ASUS recommends updating to the latest BIOS, which works for some
-using the 3com NIC on the A7N8X works for some

The game developers insist that it is a hardware/OS issue and will not patch it. Does anyone have anymore ideas? Here is a link to a thread on that game's forum going over what has already been tried.

Please help. :(

Have you tried adding a PCI NIC and running the internet through that? Also, disabling Spead Spectrum (if it's enabled) might help as well. Reducing CPU speed and raising memory timings could be benefical as well.

It's a very strange situation and I'm sure its very annoying considering that the developers of the game refuse to do anything even though it looks to be mainly their fault (I can relate to you, I played Ultima Online for a long time).

This program also might help somewhat. It was used originally for UO, but it's basically a tracerouter that can help to uncover any bottlenecks if you know the IP address of the Legend of Mir servers. Here is the original link for the program to show that there are no viruses or anything like that.

Also, the link you provided won't let me look at the topic, even after registering, I suspect that it's only for subscribers to the game.

Hope this helps somewhat,
Good Luck.

Thanks for the reply. :)

It has been recently discovered that disabling Spread Spectrum works for most boards, but still not all. Yes, many have tried using a PCI NIC with the same results. I will check out the trace utility as soon as I get a chance. Thx!

Back