• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon xp 2500, o/cing questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

Ive read a bunch of reviews for the 2500 barton on newegg and a whole lot of them say that they made their 2500 a 3000 or 3200 right out of thee box. What are the chances of this actually happening if i ordered it? (equipped to a good nforce2 mobo, im leaning toward the fic au13, geil golden dragon pc3200 ram, and a aero7 cpu fan)

The chances of this happening are just about 100%, with the proper hardware. The FIC is a very solid board, but lacks some of the voltage adjustments that you may need. If you can get a good deal on it, go for it, else, go for an Abit NF7/-S, the S having upgraded onboard audio and a serial ATA controller.I don't know much about the memory, but I'd strongly suggest Twinmos CH-5 sticks if possible. You will be wanting either an SLK800 for $30 or an SK-7, for $16. Both are excellent values, and offer the highest performance of all aircooling. Pair either up with a Thermaltake Smartfan II. Good luck!

the au13 has serial ata raid onboard too. As far as i know it has all the features for everything needed. And of all these reviews that i read about the 2500 being a 3000 or 3200, most of them said they did it with stock voltage. i think some had to push the core voltage to like 1.65 or 1.75 or something like that.

anyways, the aero7 is an awesome cooler. Especially the design too, i know its a good one. Geil golden dragon memory i heard is really good too (from the pcstats review at least).

anyways, thanks for the help.

heres the link to FIC's official spec's on the mobo.

http://www.fic.com.tw/product/motherboard/1stmainboard_detail.aspx?model_id=118

The au13 doesn't allow for memory voltage of over 2.8v. Probably not a big deal. The highest Vcore it allows for is 1.9v, probably the most you'll ever need. But if you want to do some extreme benchmarking at temporary high speeds and voltages, these will restrict you. But potentially slightly more important is its lack of active northbridge cooling. In a dual channel configuration, this and its inability to adjust northbridge voltage will probably get in the way.The Aero7, again, is a solid heatsink, but by no means is top of the line. The SK7 will get you significantly lower temps at high overclocked settings. I'd recommend it over the Aero7, as cooling is just about the most important consideration in regards to overclocking.

well, look at this.

"darkstalker,7/24/2003 11:47:42 PM

this CPU its amazing, i bundle it with an ASUS Nforce2 MB rev 1.4
i have never overclock but all i did was to set the performence at optimal them the memory speed at 400MHZ (corsair 3200LLx2=1gb)
them set the FSB at 200MHZ default is 166 memory timis by speed,
that = to 2-2-2-6 at 400mhz(3200)and them leave everything else
untouch hit F10 boot up and the MB to care of the multiplier by it
self,the CPU show up as a 3200+ xp 2.200MHZ my cooler its a Aero7+
from cooler master there was no change in temps 99F idle 108F full
i recomend using Active silver ceramique for this. now i have a 3200+ for just 90 bucks thats a deal from NEWEGG.com they are the best. "

aero 7 should be fine.

It will be fine up to around 2.4ghz. For more extreme levels, the SK7 and SLK800 would be preferable. It seems that your heart is set on the Coolermaster, so I'll leave it at that.

yeah man, it just looks so cool! lol, anyways, itd be nice if they threw an LED in there on the aero 7.

i wouldnt want to go past 2.2, 2.3 anyways. If i do i'll just go out and buy a new hsf, no biggie.

Aero 7 has issues with it's thumb clip as it has a rather nasty habbit of invadeing other systems personal space. SK7 doesn't have these problems and will keep a barton cool OCed to 2.2GHz with the fan running at 70% speed.

i got a retail barton 2500 from newegg in the mail today and it is doing 2250 with the stock heatsink. Stepping: AXDA2500DK4VD AQXEA 0327TPCW I have a hefty side duct keeping it cool but i think my weak 5v rail is holding me back. I need to do some mods to bump that up when i find the time.

Last edited:
AKULA said:
Aero 7 has issues with it's thumb clip as it has a rather nasty habbit of invadeing other systems personal space. SK7 doesn't have these problems and will keep a barton cool OCed to 2.2GHz with the fan running at 70% speed.

Yeah, I have the Aero 7+ and the clip got in the way.
So I had to bend it back a bit, which did the trick.
Also, for me, I had to install extra internal fans for the Aero 7+ to do it's work properly, but after saying that, now it performs really well.

Other than that, it's fine.

Mizzery said:
i got a retail barton 2500 from newegg in the mail today and it is doing 2250 with the stock heatsink.

I was doing the same (using the AMD HS) but just switched to an SK-7 and the CPU temp dropped about 7C. It might be worth it for you to change your HS.

You said it man, "temperature dropped" beats "looks cool".

Thermaltake Volcanos look great and people buy them over Thermalrights because of that. I don't know, monitor or mouse or keyboard looks are one thing 'cause they're in front of you.

Heatsink? Who cares what it looks like. If you do then
SLK-800(U)
http://www.case-mod.com/store/produ...70&PHPSESSID=933f9f2221f62429b1f73928d8b408ec
In tests using T-Bred B 1700+ results were better than Volcano 7+ by 212-300 MHz
and 347-433 MHz better than Volcano 9, Volcano 11.

However, results were only 30 MHz better than with

$15.99 Thermalright SK-7

http://www.svcompucycle.com/thersk7socco.html

Don't forget a fan, nothing too loud, but pretty much any 80x25mm will do with SK-7.
http://www.svc.com/thersmarcasf.html

Look for directions on how to apply thermal paste (it comes with sk-7) but this is a good one:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique_instructions.htm
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_instructions.htm

I'd imagine something similar for Aero's.

Last edited:
bk94si said:

I was doing the same (using the AMD HS) but just switched to an SK-7 and the CPU temp dropped about 7C. It might be worth it for you to change your HS.

I'm waiting on some as3 before i put my ax7 on there. (if i can find it) My water system should be done in a week depending on how much time off i get. I'm going to be working on it for a few hours today.

Back