• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

messed up my main Windows XP install...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Labotomy Jack

I just got a second hard drive and figured I'd use my XP Install disc to format it. Well I apparently chose the wrong option and, even though it said "Repair" it tried reinstalling Windows XP (in retrospect I think it was trying to upgrade from a previos windows version, of course in my mind repair does not equal upgrade but hey thats M$).

I'm hoping that I can access a restore point to fix everything but I don't know how to. I tried to boot into safemode but it wont let me. If I try boot w/ out the CD it takes me to the XP install screen and tells me to insert the CD. I'd really rather not reinstall windows if I can avoid it...

EDIT: Never mind, I fixed it.

Last edited:
If you can access the Safe Mode command prompt, you can run System Restore from the command line...and possibly restore your PC to an earlier time. Boot your computer to "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" (press the F8 key when Windows begins to start, and the Advanced Options menu will appear). You'll need to log on as the administrator or a user that has administrative rights. At the command prompt, type...

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe...and then press ENTER.

...then just follow the instructions on the screen. :)

Yeah, that's what I was looking for.

However I had went ahead and completed the repair/upgrade/installation and so far it seems the only thing it repaired are my display drivers (which is good since the 3.6 catalysts are now anyway) and my logon screen. It didn't even change my kernel which I find kinda odd.

Well thanks for the tip, I gotta go dig out my copy of norton ghost now...

Back