• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 2000 Security?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cbakey

What can i do to upgrade the security that windows 2000 offers to something that is more sucure, I am not talking about network security but just about someone trying to access from right in front of my computer. Are there programs that I could buy?

Windows 2000 security is pretty strong if you keep up with the latest security patches. I believe it is up to service pack three.

You might want to invest in a good Windows 2000 admin book because alot of the added security features such as specific user/group rights need to be manually configured.

cbakey said:
What can i do to upgrade the security that windows 2000 offers to something that is more sucure, I am not talking about network security but just about someone trying to access from right in front of my computer. Are there programs that I could buy?
Don't know your background so don't shoot me if this question seems simple. Do you have the User ID your using with a password and have the OS boot to a login don't you?

Yea, i have an account with a 11 digit password and i lock my compter when ever i am away from it and i have autologon disabled.

cbakey said:
Yea, i have an account with a 11 digit password and i lock my compter when ever i am away from it and i have autologon disabled.
Hmm, then making sure all other accounts are either disabled or don't have admin privledges except yours of course. Pass that I'm out of clues...

W2K's security is pretty good password hashes can only be broken over time and with help with a linux boot disk or other forms of software that must be ran at boot up. I suggest setting your BIOS to boot directly from Harddrive and setting a BIOS password as an extra layer of security.

Back