• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Beginner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Carnivor99

Registered
hey i've always been an intel user due to the fact my parents always bought intel. Now that o'm out buying my own computer i want to know what i can get from AMD as i know the price is fantastic.

What AMD will measure up to a Intel 2.8-3.0 Processor?

Can i use my OCZ RAM:
2x512MB PC3200 Dual Channel Kit EL-DDR Enhanced Latency.

What MoBo will i get the BEST preformance out of in comparison to a:
ASUS P4P800-DLX Intel 865PE, 800MHz Dual DDR400. LINK

Whats the difference between an Intel 800FSB and AMD 400FSB?

Finally on a non AMD related note if the Radeon 9800 Pro 128meg worth the money over a 9700 All-in-wonder Pro?

All your help will be greatly appreciated

-MattR

Carnivor99 said:
hey i've always been an intel user due to the fact my parents always bought intel. Now that o'm out buying my own computer i want to know what i can get from AMD as i know the price is fantastic.

What AMD will measure up to a Intel 2.8-3.0 Processor?
A 2800+ to 3000+ or 3200+ ? :confused:
Can i use my OCZ RAM:
2x512MB PC3200 Dual Channel Kit EL-DDR Enhanced Latency.
Yes.
What MoBo will i get the BEST preformance out of in comparison to a:
ASUS P4P800-DLX Intel 865PE, 800MHz Dual DDR400. LINK
Abit NF7-S
Whats the difference between an Intel 800FSB and AMD 400FSB?
No real difference, other than the fact that one is higher numerically.
Finally on a non AMD related note if the Radeon 9800 Pro 128meg worth the money over a 9700 All-in-wonder Pro?
Do you do a lot of video capture etc and have a PCI slot free? Then get a Hauppage card and get a solid card with good drivers and one you won't have to replace when you next upgrade your video card.

Do you do a lot of video capture etc and have a PCI slot free? Then get a Hauppage card and get a solid card with good drivers and one you won't have to replace when you next upgrade your video card.

One Word. WTF :D

For raw CPU power as measured by Dhrystone MIPS, a P4 running at 3.0 GHz is about the same as an AMD Tbred/Barton running at 3.0/1.28 = 2.35 GHz.

Between the P4 800 quad pump FSB and the AMD XP DDR 400 FSB, as far as effective memory bandwidth is concerned, the numbers are:

P4 effective bandwidth at 800 quad pump data ~ 800 * 8 * 0.75 = 4800 MB/s

XP effective bandwidth at 400 DDR ~ 400 * 8 * 0.95 = 3040 MB/s

So P4 has around 60% more effective memory bandwidth. For applications that require lots of substained memory bandwidth between the system memory and the CPU such as video and 3D graphic processing and streaming (not within video card), and programs that require huge amount of memory data frequently transferred to/from CPU (such as large scientific matrices), ... the P4 would have some advantages.

Last edited:
Honestly, 3 gigs of P4 is going to beat almost anything AMD can throw at it. Not by much, though.

A barton OC'd to its max with pc3200 or better memory on an nforce 2 board is going to come up about the same as a 3 gig P4. And 2.4C P4's often hit 3.4ghz or better.

BUT

2.4C = $170
Springdale board >= $100

Nforce 2 board >= $65
2500+ Barton = $90
or
tbred = $45

Can we think of something else to do with an extra $115????

bascially he's telling you wiht a PCI tv tuner card =d you wont lose your tv tuner ability if you upgrade your graphic card =d

now if you have a ATI AIW and you upgraded that to a non-AIW or geforce card then you would lose your tuner =d

bascially he's telling you wiht a PCI tv tuner card =d you wont lose your tv tuner ability if you upgrade your graphic card =d

now if you have a ATI AIW and you upgraded that to a non-AIW or geforce card then you would lose your tuner =d

cherryp00t: Dude, u tripple posted, lol.

I think he just doesn't know the difference between the 9700 AIW and the 9800. AIW is an add-on to the card that allows for video capture and has a TV tuner, so if u get a 9700 AIW, u get a 9700 + TV, if u get a 9800 you get just the video card.
If you want TV on your PC and want to keep it even after u replace your video card, then get a 9800 and a TV card. If you're just looking for the best ATi card then go for the 9800. but if you want TV and Video card in one then AIW is a great choice, as it has a very good quality

Back