• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Newb Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

metra

How do you run 5+ fans if your mobo only supports 3? How do you guys run more fans than your motherboard supports?

Get a battery?

metra, Your fans do not have to connect to the motherboard. They can connect directly to the Power Supply. If your fans only have 3 pin connectors, you can buy a 3 to 4 pin adapter, put that on your fans, and then connect them to the 4 pin molex connectors on your power supply.

I don't have any fans powered thru the mobo on my rig...most are hooked up to my PSU...My mobo will power 3 fans but I prefer to attach them via 4 pin connectors...You can also get cooling fans that plug into the wall socket directly, which takes the load off the PSU...I have a 120mm set up that way, installed in the side of the case blowing directly into the HSF...Excellent...:D

Back