• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

600 mhz Athlon (4) in Presario 700 laptop...600 mhz???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC Noob

I just got this laptop as a freebie replacement because an even crappier Sony VIAO died, so don't blame me for it being a Compaq;)

Anyway, is there really such a thing as a 600 mhz Athlon?

I wonder if I can overclock it.

hehe usually not wise to oc that in a laptop since you cant do **** for cooling and it'll just end up draining yoru battery faster..

I was able to find out its a 1.2 ghz Athlon 4, what ever the 4 means. Its got 256 mb of ram and 16 are shared with a sis twister gfx card...sounds like a crappy gfx card, but better then the 6 mb one in the sony:D

Is there any way to configure the processor variable speeds?

if there is it would most likely include hard coding the multiplier. I'm not familiar with laptop sockets so i wouldn't know where to begin.

usually laptop bois dont have much room for oc ;d so back to to my orginal post why bother?? =d what you gonna run on it beyond a few window apps?

OC Noob said:
I was able to find out its a 1.2 ghz Athlon 4, what ever the 4 means. Its got 256 mb of ram and 16 are shared with a sis twister gfx card...sounds like a crappy gfx card, but better then the 6 mb one in the sony:D

Is there any way to configure the processor variable speeds?
Overclocking the laptop, bad idea..

I wouldn't try messing overclocking it if I were you. The manufacturer built systems are not meant to overclock. They are not designed to handle overclocked speeds, what's worse, you trying to overclock the laptop?? nah nah nah nah nah. The BIOS doesn't even support overclock features and it is highly limited in options. Treat the thing nicely. I wouldn't want to see you blowing something up. Good advice. ;)

LOl I have put this Chip in my Wife computer and it is Running I then chaged the Multipier to 11 and it is doing over 1.6 lol thought i share that wife you..Default is 5x and it says it is a 600 intill you pout it back in the laptop something to do with the multipiers

I doubt there are 600MHz Athlon4s. Not completely sure, but doubt it. Run GCPUID, and it'll tell you the max multiplier of your chip in the multiplier field.

i think i used to have the exact laptop you are speaking of... i refered to it as 'craptop' or crapaq... Man i hated that thing. it had like 45mins of batter life and would burn your lap like crazy... it sucked.

are there any laptops out there that actually allow flexible FSB speeds?

i havnt come across any....do the new alienware's ?

Back