• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory heatsinks help any?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

Ok, I'm getting 2x256MB corsair XMS 3500 (BH-5) memory for a great deal. They don't come w/ any heatspreaders. If I put anything on them I would want some small heatsinks. But I'm wondering if their worth it. I guess I won't be able to tell if giving them over 2volts will help in overclocking 'till I have 'em. Having heatsinks will allow me to give them alot more voltage won't they?

I'm thinking about getting the copper ones from excaliberPC.com for $7 for a pack of 8, + $5 for shipping. Is there a better/cheaper place to get 'em? Bestbyte.net has some cheap aluminum ones for $4 for 4, and shipping is nothing (w/ the rest of my order), but they might be too tall. What do you think? Should I get any?

Thanks for your knowledge.

waste of money IMO. unless your gonna run 3.2v or something really high there not good. rig a 80mm fan to blow on em and that's more than enough.

Er... are you sure these are Corsairs? All the Corsair XMS series have black heatspreaders, with a platinum line too. I've never seen any without heatspreaders.

I'm not sure if the owner took 'em off or what. But the seller is good, so I'm not doubting they're corsair XMS. We'll see I guess.

As far as ive read there is no need for active cooling or heatspeaders unless you pushing 3+ volts. I currently have mine at 2.85 and when i push my system my memory just gets warm to touch. This is my experience with my setup, results may vary....(disclaimer*) /chuckles

Back