• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northbridge cooling question???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drak55

I I should soon be getting in the mail my new ASUS MOBO. I want to cool the Northbridge and would like to know whats a good cooler to get. I know a water block is good but a bit pricey whats the best air cooling set up for it.

I'd just go for the Zalman Passive cooler. I have one of my kT333 board, and it runs fine just fine. Nothing to wear out, and it works better than the stock tiny HS + tiny fan.

Also, the Microcool thing is great, if you want to spend 35 bucks on a NB cooler. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Namagomi said:
Also, the Microcool thing is great, if you want to spend 35 bucks on a NB cooler. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

It's a kit, not just a cooler...why don't you read the whole thing the next time...

In the past, I used to cool my BX northbridge with a huge PIII heatsink. It's a pain to install, but the cooling is really good ! You may try to install (DIY) a Athlon copper heatsink ;)

++

glock19owner said:

It's a kit, not just a cooler...why don't you read the whole thing the next time...

Oh wow. It comes with 50 cents worth of aluminum heatsinks too? That Microcool thing is nice, sure, but it costs a lot MOSFET sinks or not. Why don't you read the whole thing yourself next time, champ. :cool:

Or you can stick on a heatsink with thermal adhesive

nb.JPG

Hey, I have the same asus A7N8X dlx as the first poster has. Will a 80mm fan from my old factory amd heatsink cool it down signafintly? And how would I attach it to the heat spreader (or is it a heatsink?) on the nb.

My MB temp is pretty low already, 30c idle 30-31c load, will a fan really make a differance?

Try using a HSF from an old Pentium, NBs don't get very hot(in my P4, the NB has a small heatsink, and it gets only warm).

star882 said:
Try using a HSF from an old Pentium, NBs don't get very hot(in my P4, the NB has a small heatsink, and it gets only warm).

I don't know, the heatsink on my NB on my old Asus A7V8X was HOT, and it was only at 187fsb. With my current setup(NF7-S and 222fsb), my huge heatsink on my NB is very warm. I'd say it's doing its job nicely.

jlin453 thats's quite the northbridge cooler you have on there! I guess size does matter. : )

"I don't know, the heatsink on my NB on my old Asus A7V8X was HOT, and it was only at 187fsb. With my current setup(NF7-S and 222fsb), my huge heatsink on my NB is very warm. I'd say it's doing its job nicely."
Well, my NB heatsink gets only warm @ 533MHz FSB.
And the HSF on my 200MHz Pentium MMX stays cold @ full load(the Pentium MMX probably uses about 10w).

just for clarification... i break all the fsb ratings of everything down to thier core fsb speeds..

222fsb is much higher then your 533 which is actually a quad dmg 133fsb correct?

If what i am sayin is true, that would account for the heat differences. 222 is much greater then 133.

Blz said:
just for clarification... i break all the fsb ratings of everything down to thier core fsb speeds..

222fsb is much higher then your 533 which is actually a quad dmg 133fsb correct?

If what i am sayin is true, that would account for the heat differences. 222 is much greater then 133.

:)

Namagomi said:

Oh wow. It comes with 50 cents worth of aluminum heatsinks too? That Microcool thing is nice, sure, but it costs a lot MOSFET sinks or not. Why don't you read the whole thing yourself next time, champ. :cool:

I have since I actually talk to Mike...the owner of The Swift Tech store...and also a lot of XS members use it and have stated it is well worth the money...and has helped them achieve a higher FSB over the crystal orb at cooler temps...and has helped cool the mosfets better then some of the ramsinks most use...not as good as tweak monster ramsinks...but then again...you are talking about 15.00+ with shipping just for ramsinks alone...So you still think you have read or know the whole thing about that set...

One more thing...The Swift Tech store is the only store in the US that carries this kit...and if you think that is jsut .50 worth of copper...guess you don't know the price of copper anymore...but all in all...it is a little expensive I will agree with...but still cheaper then WC the NB ;)...

And Drak55...good choice...it is my next NB setup for the NF7-S rev 2.0 when I order it...

glock19owner said:

I have since I actually talk to Mike...the owner of The Swift Tech store...and also a lot of XS members use it and have stated it is well worth the money...and has helped them achieve a higher FSB over the crystal orb at cooler temps...and has helped cool the mosfets better then some of the ramsinks most use...not as good as tweak monster ramsinks...but then again...you are talking about 15.00+ with shipping just for ramsinks alone...So you still think you have read or know the whole thing about that set...

One more thing...The Swift Tech store is the only store in the US that carries this kit...and if you think that is jsut .50 worth of copper...guess you don't know the price of copper anymore...but all in all...it is a little expensive I will agree with...but still cheaper then WC the NB ;)...

And Drak55...good choice...it is my next NB setup for the NF7-S rev 2.0 when I order it...
not to be an *** ,but you can get a good nb block for less than that kit. also it looks like a good kit ,but it cost more than a good cpu hs. you could make your own ramsinks and use a stock amd hs for about 10bucks. also they arent copper ramsinks. they are aluminum and you can definately get those for 50cents.

Back