• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to fry a chip with AS3??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brunt

Well I did get my AS3 smeared all over the place..haven't had time to clean it off yet. When I put it in(thinking it was ok) it got to 70C REAL FAST, and comp shut down. I waited a second, turned her back on...no luck, no beeps no video no nothing.

Throw in my 1600+ everything works fine....put my 1700+ back in, and nada...put 1600+ back in and its fine...Well the diode I have on the heatsink(REALLY close to the cpu) says my 1600+ @ 1.9 is 35C idle. It says my 1700+ is 25C not doing anything..

Could the AS3 that was smeared all over have fried my chip? I dont see any marks on the cpu or smell anything(but the AS3)..

Should I just go and buy a new chip before they are all gone?!?

AS3 conducts. You probably got some on the bridges, and its shorting the chip. If you clean it (which will be hard and time consuming) the chip should work.

the chip might work might not but def worth the shot to clean it if you got it all over the chip then you might have screwd it up

I would try cleaning it and get all of the AS3 off the chip. You might be surprised and it will still work. It also sounds like you may have used too much AS3, and that could also cause your CPU temp to increase rapidly.

Ahh ok...well I am gonna try to clean it off today..have a few hours before I gotta go to work! Thanks everyone.

I wonder if you could put the chip through the washing machine to clean it. I'v heard people doing it to motherboards.

an isopropyl alcohol bath would probably be better, safer, and more effective. :)

Well...I went to the local hardware store...none of that stuff was there :( I did get some goo gone....gonna try that. I have taken my computer system in the shower with me before when I spilled milk into the case!!! it was unplugged thank god! I may do that again with the cpu lol

Well, cleaned it off really well....turned on, shut itself down, turned it back on...shut itself off again, turned it on a 3rd time..stayed on and nothing...I have cleaned it sooo much the pads came off!! Now I gotta glue those back on lol...

Ok, which dots/bridges on top of the cpu would cause it to short/ground out? Maybe I got one of those valleys filled with AS3 and I need to scrape it out?!?

Try nail polish remover (non scented). You can also probably get iso alcohol at the grocery store. Hmm.. what else.. try going over the surface with duct tape? :)

liquid dish washing soap will remove AS3 easily. i have used it many times over the years

Well..I got everything off..even in the valleys..I think I fried the chip! Oh well...I will have to buy another one, and I will fill in all the gaps with a crayon before I apply any AS3 and clean it off before I put it in the socket...guess its better with this $70 chip then a $200 chip....not that I would ever pay that much for a chip though LOL

Brunt said:
Well..I got everything off..even in the valleys..I think I fried the chip! Oh well...I will have to buy another one, and I will fill in all the gaps with a crayon before I apply any AS3 and clean it off before I put it in the socket...guess its better with this $70 chip then a $200 chip....not that I would ever pay that much for a chip though LOL

...Fill the gaps with crayon :eek: :eek:
Why not just apply AS3 (or any thermal compound) properly? Just a very small amount, very thin layer, and only on the core and not around. Not that difficult, and if u got some little smears - just clean them with Alcohol immediately. If ur NOT an elephant its doable. ;)

A.

Well...true, but this if the first time I have fried a chip doing this, and as many people..they wont take the precuation untill it happens to them. I only had the chip for 2 weeks, and I did apply it properly. It was from removing and installing so many times when it smeared. If you fried a cpu with AS3, wouldn't you take the extra 4 seconds to run a crayon over all the dots/bridges? Crayon wipes off easy.

Get some ceramique or arctic alumina. I've used alumina to fill the gaps when unlocking a proc too :) Both are electrical insulators. I've heard crayon melts and drips off anyway.

cack01 said:
I wonder if you could put the chip through the washing machine to clean it. I'v heard people doing it to motherboards.

an isopropyl alcohol bath would probably be better, safer, and more effective. :)

Nah, I'd put it in the dishwasher insted!:D About using a washing machine to clean up a cpu, the washing agitator and the spin cycle will mess up your chip big time by bending all its pins and chipping it into a few pieces too.

True, but I just took each part with me in the shower...and washed everything by hand. dried everything off with a towel...for a day or two lol

Back