• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

zif socket probe nf7-s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AdvanS13

i have a rev 2 nf7-s. when i first got it, i never realized it had a temp diode in the zif socket. when i first mounted the cpu it wouldnt push down all the way...first i thought my pins were bent.

lol....then i noticed, oh its the temp diode. i just pushed it down enough to mount the cpu fine. is it supposed to touch the bottom of the cpu? or is it fine if it was just a mm or so below it?

i forgot where mine ended up being, but i think its pretty close.

just got bored, and remembered this...been running fine for a month or so...stock bios still.

should i recheck and make sure its touching the cpu? or will where its at be fine if its just below and not hitting it?

thanks

The further the temp sensor is away from the CPU core, the less accurate the temp readings are going to be, even when the sensor is touching the bottom of the CPU, the temps it reads are wildly inaccurate... If you are going to be doing some overclocking, I would suggest you check it out (maybe put a little bit of thermal paste between the sensor and the CPU bottom so its more accurate... otherwise, you have a good chance of frying your CPU : /

AdvanS13 said:
i first mounted the cpu it wouldnt push down all the way...first i thought my pins were bent.

lol....then i noticed, oh its the temp diode. i just pushed it down enough to mount the cpu fine. is it supposed to touch the bottom of the cpu? or is it fine if it was just a mm or so below it?

What would you rather have the thermistor take temp readings of, the air in the Ziff Socket cavity or the back of the CPU? If you choose the back of the CPU you will want to have good contact, raise the thermistor again & use the CPU to push it down & use thermal paste. If not then your already reading air temps;)

Back