• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7M266 Tbred 1700+ Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Draven

Hey everyone. I´m trying to find out if it´s possible to OC a 1700+ Tbred on my Asus A7M266. The main problem should be my RAM, because they don´t support cl2 at 133mhz FSB, but cl2.5. And I´hm not sure if can use a mulitplier 22x or higher. I know I can turn it up to 26x with that wire-trick, but I´ve never heard about anybody using such a high MP, so.. what should I do? Vcore max is 1.85, that shouldn´t be a problem. I hope you guys can help me, because I´m absolutely not sure if it works with mp 22 or higher. And I also read about the problems with my pci and agp slots, that I can´t turn fsb up to 133mhz without forcing mhz or whatever..
So here´s what I´d like to know: Is it Possible to o/c the 1700+ Tbred on my a7m266 with 100mhz FSB and MP 22+ and would it give me any speed-advantages?
Or should I use 133Mhz FSB though my ram does only do cl2.5 at 133Mhz ?

Thanks for answers.

Hi there. Well I have an old A7M266 rev. 1.04 and I have been putting it through some tests to help you out and you're in luck because it supports all of the multipliers but it doesn't report it correctly in the bios but once you boot up it will show and use the correct mhz. But I recommend finding the height of your ram if you have not already done so. Make sure you are using at least 2.8v or 2.9v so you can see how high you can go and see if you can use cl2 with the higher voltage. For example I had some PC2100 that could go all the way up to 166mhz at cl2 and it was plain PC2100. Then after you have found the height of your ram then you can decide on a multiplier. Just for your info I went all the way up to 21 which worked perfectly.
P.S. Just for your information when at 21 mult I got in the BIOS 1400Mhz and something like a 6.5 mult but the actual mhz was 2117mhz. So it does work.
BtwWelcome to the Forums!!!

Ah, at first thanks for the reply!
And I already tested my RAM, but the problem is that it supports cl2 up to 100mhz fsb and cl2.5 up to 133mhz fsb only. Now I´m not sure if I can stay at 133mhz fsb and use multi only to o/c, like 133x17 for example. If I don´t change fsb my ram should stay at 266 dimm, right? I tried to o/c fsb too and at 134mhz it didn´t even boot up correctly.. I had two different error messages, a bluescreen and a strange text at the dos mode while booting.

Btw, how did you unlock the board? It would be quite nice if you could explain it to me, because I found a site with that wire trick, but I´m not absolutely sure what to do. Maybe that´s the easiest way, but you said something about that I won´t be able to see the multiplier at the bios. Ah and I use bios version 1.007 and i heared this version supports amds up to 2100+, so I should be able to see the multiplier changes, shouldn´t I ?

Thx again,
Draven

Oh Asus says that it supports up to a 2100+ but it did show a 2200+ when I tried the 13.5 mult so I know it supports stuff higher than the 2100+, but that does not really matter. What matters is how fast your processor will be running and not the PR in the BIOS. First I went to www.ocinside.de and found all of the different multiplier configurations it went from like 3-24 or something. In order to use all of the different configurations you will have to have small "U" shaped pieces of copper wire and then insert them into the socket to get the desired multiplier. I got my copper wire from an old telephone wire that wasn't being used and cut it up into about five 10-15mm lengths and insert them into the socket. Oh and since you are going for high multis I didn't test any of the lower multis like 12.5 and below. But I think you should start with a multi of 15 or 16 and then work your way up to your highest clock possible. And make sure you change VIO and VIO1 so the jumper is on the two middle pins. Those two will give more voltage to the nb and the ram so you may be able to oc your ram some by doing that. I would say it would be plenty safe to do it since I have done all of the time with my components and nothing has broken yet.

P.S. I just did a search and found out on amdmb.com that in the CHIP Configuration screen within the advanced screen that S2K Slew Rate Control should be changed to 1 rather than 3.

Last edited:
Back