• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New nf7-s wierdness

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyranos

Ok, so I figure out the nf7-s v2 doesn't like kingston hyperX. Well, my hyper X at least. So I take it out, and just leave my corsair xms in there. Runs great, so I decide to raise the fsb from 208 to 215. Oh no. I get the long continual beeps. Clearing cmos did jack. So I had this hunch, and popped the hyperX back in there. Yay, it boots again. So, I set all the bios settings back to where I want them and shutdown. Took out the hyper X and pressed power. Yay, its beepapalooza again. So, to make any fsb changes in the bios I have to have the incompatible error producing kingston present. wtf?

Swapping in and out bits of ram is usually a bad idea, I did that once and had a similar sort of problem, once you have the ram you want in there just clear teh cmos, and maybe even remove the battery for a minute or to to make sure. Then set up the bios again, if its beeping as you said it was thats because its having problems with the ram, and so you need to either increase the ram voltage, or loosen those timings, either way... if you have 2 sticks of ram, one of them might be less overclockable than the other, and so you wont be able to run at such a high speed, also running in dual channel mode decreases the fsb you will be able to run at because it puts more pressure on the ram...

Also, if you are trying to run at those high fsbs make sure your ram is actually able to go that high, if you have some PC2700 there is a good chance that trying over 200 fsb isnt going to work, even with a lot of voltage...

My ram problems were fixed with the v17 bios, you might want to try it.. (I ahve 2x256mb sticks of PC3500 Kingston HyperX)

I hope that helps

Never had ANY touble with my OCZ so I can't help.... Just a sad plug for OCZ..hehe.....Hope you get it working.

Thanks guys.

I do have bios v17, and the corsair is xms pc3200, and kingston is pc3500. I've been through all the ram voltage and timing adjustments. Right now I'm running at 211fsb on the corsair. It seems to be fine. As soon as I put the kingston in there it makes errors in prime, crashes 3dmark, etc. Unless there are magical bios settings I haven't found, I don't know how else to make the kingston work with this. The only thing I didn't try was to reduce the dram voltage to 2.5v like it says on the kingston stick for default.

You know, this is very familiar. With my 8RDA+ board I couldn't make fsb changes with the corsair by itself. It would make the beep siren, and I'd have to put in another stick along with it to boot it up.

well **** i just ordered a nf7-s and two sticks of 3200 kingston hyperx heh i guess ill just have to find out what happens

I used to be able to only get 180fsb before the v 17 BIOS, and that was because it was screwing up the ram some how because PC3500 ram can definatly go a lot faster than 180fsb, Anyway, my problem was just the bios, so maybe you might want to try reflashing v 17 or maybe v 18? I dont know...

Oh and btw, if you want to post at higher than about 200 MHz on the fsb with the v17 bios you have to have "CPU Interface Enabled" Otherwise its no go...

Yeah I just updated to v18 and everything is running great now at 211x11 :D If I go higher 3dmark won't finish though. I enabled cpu interface when I first got it. Vdd = 1.7

Sometimes the CPU interface could stop you! Try with enabled and disabled to see which one is more stable

Tyranos ... glad that 18 bios worked well for you. I had decent results with it but I've found that 17 is even better. If you get bored give it a try.

v.17 was the one it had that didn't like the kingston ram :(

damn that might be my problem i cant get higher than 205 fsb with my 1.7 bios ima try and go back to 1.0 though i have heard good things about it

Back