• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virtual Memory / Paging File

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godzilla

Ok......i dont know if this is the right place to post about this so bare with me...........

I am trying to compress a DVD movie into DivX format using a program called FlasKMPEG. Now i've used this program without any problems with my old Athlon 700MHz, but now when i use it, it compresses about 80MB of the movie and windows comes up with a message that it is running low on virtual memory and that it needs to increase the size of it's paging file.....so i checked the size it is set at currently and it is 1536 - 3072 for C: drive. I have 8 hard drive partitions and none of the others have a paging file and i dont know if they are supposed to have one or not.

I'm wondering if those values are enough, and what all you guys have yours set at?

My system is in my Sig.....any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

I have mine set static (ie 768min 768 max). If you have more than 1 HD I would put it on one of those @768x768 and still leave one on C: too. WIndows will use the least active HD when it needs to swap. MS actually recomends this for a slight performance gain. If it still does that I'd set it to a larger value on both drives, but by having two drives set at 768 effectively gives you a swap of 1536 plus whatever amount of memory you have.

Mine is constantly set at 1.5 gb and ive never had a problem with it. And i encode a lot of movies and such.

Back