• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to get back to windows 98?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did you upgrade from 98 to Windows XP?

If you did then you can revert back to windows 98 in the control panel - add/revove programs.

If you did a clean install then you will have to reformat the drive then reinstall Win98

Boot to the Windows 98 boot disk. (boot from your Wind98 CD or get a bootdisk @ http://www.bootdisk.com )

At the DOS prompt, type FDISK and select large hard drive support (answer "Y") and then Delete the non-DOS partition.

Reboot the system to the 98 disk again, but this time and again load Fdisk. Again select large hard drive support.

Create a primary partition and make it active.

Reboot to the 98 disk again and then format the drive.

format c:

Now install. I think the command is d:\win98\install or just install depending if it is Win87 second edition

o0OBruceLeeO0o said:
Just out of curiousity.... Why on earth would you go back to Win98 if you have WinXP Pro!?

With his system specs he would be alot better off with XP Pro but maybe he needs to run older software.

He may be better off using a Virtual PC program such as VM Ware

I'm dual booting and prefer to play games on Win98. No matter what anybody says, I feel they run smoother in the older system.

Back