• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Motherboard, Ram, CPU, will i need to buy a new XP disk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

confused

Here, we go first question on my first post.

I am switching from an A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon 2200, DDR333 (1900MHz, 190FSB 100% Prime 95 stable), to a P4C800 Deluxe, 2.4, DDR500 (hoping to get to 3.6).

Will XP screw me and think this is a new computer and therefore, not let me register my current copy.

Thank to all that help.

If anyone has any question about switch affiliations, its just that the AMD system was my first OC and now I’m bored with it, I could buy a 2500 and some new DDR500 and see what happens but my board only supports 233 FSB, that would mean buying a new board so I could push everything to the max, therefore, it was just time to try something new.

Thanks for any help.
Confused

Last edited:
If I understand the question correctly, and also understand what goes on with the Product Activation in WinXP, you'll likely have to re-register.

From experience, swapping motherboards from under Windows is a crapshoot, at best. Sometimes, it will detect everything correctly, and sometimes not. I've noticed it has a much better chance of working like this if you're staying with a similar board (like swapping a KT266A in place of a KT266, or even a KT333 in for that KT266. I had to reformat and do a fresh install (which is usually the way to go anyways) when I went from a KT333 to a nForce2 board.

Going from AMD to intel is even more of a drastic change than that. I'd be very surprised if it worked, without a format/install.

In which case, reregistering would be required.

Have fun with the new rig....

Cheers!

B.

It looks like you will have to reregister with Microsoft, since you will still only run one instance of XP on only one PC, because I guess you are moving your hard drive too.

You'll probably have to do a format and a reinstall off the OS. After that i would just "call to register" and explain it too the customer service rep. what exactly you did, and since the "old" parts do not make another PC in yor basement i see no problem with registering your one Xp

Reregestering shouldn't be a problem, you can wait until you have your net connection up and do it that way. If I were you, I'd do a full reinstall with the new hard ware which will require a reactivation of your current XP liscence.

First off THank you to everyone.

Here is more info, my old mobo, cpu and ram are going to a friend of mine for his new system.

Um... i plan on building a SATA raid 0 setup so ill be doing some formatting and what not right from the start. (duel 80GIG Seagate so far. with my old 60 gig as the back up) I might even put 2 OS's on this system Linex maybe dont know. This is my biggest project to date.

Supposedly according to Asus the P4C800's are Prescott compliant (who really knows anymore) and then next year i can put a water system in it (hate hate hate noise), need to finish with my degree first though (money is tight)

later
confused

Back