• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is a better setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

palee72

I mainly play games on my PC. I have my choice of ram.. I don't OC much. Which would I get better preformance out of?

512Mb PC2100
or
256Mb PC3200

This may seem like a dumb question.. but I... eh.. go ahead....

EDIT::: I just read a little bit down with someone having basicly the same question. And it was what I thought...

Better to have more ram than less..

I would tend to agree. With 512MB of PC2100, you should be okay. Since Windows XP needs at least 256MB to operate with any grace, 512MB is definitely the way to go. You should be able to find 512 of PC2700 for not much more then PC2100 though, since PC2100 is being phased out...

-Sean

right on SeanOMatic, though when running applications where the amount of ram isn't a strong factor the 3200 will perform much better but 256mb really isn't enough to go around to run many things smoothly and at the same time, i'm beginning to feel that my 512mb isn't enough

Yeah, most people tend to overlook the fact that Windows itself can gobble up a ton of memory. Right now, I would say 512MB is the bare minimum, and 1GB is a good amount to have for any serious gamer or DV editor, etc.

Memory is very inexpensive when it comes to the mid-speed(PC2700, PC3200) stuff, that having less then 512MB's isn't really worth the trouble.

I'm running win2k Pro, I already have the sticks of 512mb-2100 and 256mb-3200. I was just trying to decide which one I keep and which one the wife gets..

We're in the middle of getting our house painted and buying new hardware at the moment isn't an option. So, I was just checking my options.

Back