• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long to run Prime95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Magic187

Prime95 only runs for about an hour before crashing. Is this enough time to consider the processer stable? I dont keep my computer on 24/7 nor do i play games for over an hour straight.
I was thinking bout raising the voltage but i dont want my temps to go up.

You should run for at least 12 hours. If Prime95 ever crashes, though, it means that your system is unstable for sure. You should be raising your voltage.

Wow...1 hour is way too short. I usually run it for at least 8 hours, but the more the better.

At the beginning stage of overclocking for CPU and FSB, running it for a little while (5-15-30 min) should be enough to get a feeling about the general stability. If it seems to be stable, one can get to the next higher step - 0.5 multiplier higher for CPU overclocking with 0.25V Vcore increase if needed, or 1 to few MHz higher for FSB overclocking.

At the ending of overclocking when FSB is thought to within 1-3 MHz and CPU is thought to within 5 MHz from max best, it would take a much longer time (12 at least or longer as possible) to check for higher stability coverage.

Use both Prime95 and 3DMark 01/03 to check for stability. 3DMark 01/03 is good for overall system stability, including CPU, FSB, video, system drivers, ... stability.

Last edited:
I say 6 but thats just me:D...the way I figure there was never a time I hever ran a game or anything 6+ hours straight....without getting a sore but:D.........so if it crashes I take it as a sign to GET OFF MY BOOTY!....thats just me though :D

treepop, I had Prime95 give me errors after 8 hours more times than I can remember. 10 hours is the bare minimum I'd say.

To find the rough max OC for a given Vcore I run Prime95 for 1 hour. After trying different combinations and settling on a setting I run it for 72 hours for the final test. I also loop 3Dmark01 and play my favorite games.

well I also have recieved errors after 9 hours....more times then not...it's due to my ac being turned off for the night or something.......there are so many outside forces in 24+ hours of testing......like your roomate starts jacken with yourcompute and doesn't say anything.....hehe;)......or your ac is turned off and your room gets to like 80 and your temps shoot......I dunno but 66 hours is ALOT!....so it suits me...:D....also I have to much to do to have no computer for 2 days UHG!....hehe...I think the current oc in my sig ran stable for 12 or so hours so I think I am cool :D

It just depends on what you do really. Test for a bit longer than you usually sit down and use the computer for games or whatever.

Note that you can use your computer to do whatever you want during the Prime95 torture testing period so you don't have to worry about those factors.

The idea is to test the computer stability in a given environment. If it can stand your AC being turned off at lower speeds and not higher then that's that.

I run p95 between 18-24 hours. I too have gotten errors after 8 hours. And whenI can, I use it while it is runnnig the torture test. For true stability, it needs to be able to handle that.

I once ran it for 72 hours just to make sure and 3dmark looping for 24 hours.

I agree one hour is too short to be considered stable. Are you sure it's the cpu that's failing. You have some pc2700 ram there running 200 FSB and that could be a problem. If upping your voltage doesn't solve your stability problem, I'd suspect the ram. You may want to try memtest to test it out.

last time i did prime 95 i ran it for 3 days straight. 3dmark was looped for 8 hrs .

chip was a 2100+ at 2088 mhz 1.6 volts. because of room temps and that this is roommates computer i will leave processor at this speed for her use

Jen

Back