• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Mobo To Get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onizuka

Im going to be building a computer, and Im probably going to be going with the AMD AthlonXP 2100+. I was wondering what motherboard I should get. I will probably upgrade the processor later on so it needs to be able to handle the new ones (Bartons?)
I am pretty much deciding between the Abit NF7 or the Asus A7N8X-D. I was wondering which one would be best. Also are all NF7s 2.0 or not, if not can you get the 2.0 at newegg?

Well I would like to blindly suggest the NF7-S, yes I have it, and no I haven never owned the A7N8X-D, but still I chose this one for a reason, the reviews I read held both motherboards in very high acclaim and the general consensus is you cant go wrong with either. From my reading I gathered tha the A7N8X-D holds a slight performance lead over the NF7-S yes the doesnt offer as many overclocking features.

and I should imagine there are still the older versions of the board in many shops around the world, so I would clear that it is indeed V2.0.

Some users may also recommend that you get a 1700+, from what I have seen these are tremendous little overclockers - never used one though so just have to wait until someone who has steps in :santa2:

Dan

Last edited:
amazing, I came from from just some Creative SB 4.1 Digital card, but the sound quality was a marked improvement, certainly much better than other onboard audio I have used, and lower end cards. Never used a top sound card myself, so dont know how it sizes up to that. :santa2:

Last edited:
Make sure you get an Abit NF7-S <--NOTICE the "S" otherwise you won't get the good Soundstorm onboard sound which is awesome as ninthebin said.

Also nin was right about the 1700+ I own one and love it (check sig). or if you don't want to downgrade the 2500+ is a good deal at 96 bucks!

Alright Im going to go with the NF7-S , sounds very nice.
Thanks for your help everyone :)

Back