• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CODES (abridged)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Barton is better than > Thoroughbred B is better than > Thoroughbred A is better than > Palomino.
Make sure your mobo's official web site supports the CPU core before upgrading.

All DMT3C are Palomino's.

Example code: AXDA2100DUT3C AIUHB 0248MPMW

0248 stands for 2002 week 48

T-Bred A's have a stepping code which ends in "A": xxxA are T-Bred A's

T-Bred B's have a stepping code which ends in "B": xxxB are T-Bred B's
(like the example code AIUHB above)

That's why the last letter of the stepping code is important.
DLT3C or DUT3C is not enough as it can be one or the other for some of them:

1600+: DLT3C T-Bred A; | DLT3C & DUT3C T-Bred B (rarely seen)
1700+: DLT3C T-Bred A; | DLT3C & DUT3C T-Bred B
1800+: DLT3C T-Bred A; | DLT3C & DUT3C T-Bred B
1900+: DLT3C T-Bred A; | DLT3C & DUT3C T-Bred B

2000+: DKT3C T-Bred A; | DUT3C could be either a T-Bred A or T-Bred B
The only way to distinguish between the two is by the stepping code last letter (A or B).
except if the second letter of the code is Q -- then it's a Thorton.

2100+: DUT3C could be either a T-Bred A or T-Bred B
The only way to distinguish between the two is by the stepping code last letter (A or B).

2200+: DKV3C T-Bred A; | DUV3C T-Bred B

2300+: There are no 2300+ (!) Some companies marketed 2400+'s as 2300+'s

2400+: All 2400+s are T-Bred B's (no A's). DKV3C and DUT3C are both T-Bred B's

2500+ All 2500+s are Bartons. Second letter of the code is Q

2600+
DKV3C [133] x 16 = 2133 MHz T-Bred B, Last letter of the code is B or
DKV3D [166] x 12.5 = 2083 MHz T-Bred B, Last letter of the code is B
except if the second letter of the code is Q -- then it's a DKV3D Thorton. or
DKV4D [166] x 11.5 = 1917 MHz Barton, Second letter of the code is Q

2700+ are all DKV3D Thoroughbred B's (No A's, no Bartons).

2800+ DKV4D [166] x 12.5 Barton with second letter of the code being Q or
DKV3D [166] x 13.5 T-Bred B with last letter of the code being B (rarely seen).

http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/
http://members.cox.net/alpha_03/installation.htm

3000+ DKV4D [166] x 13 Barton or
DKV4E [200] x 10.5 Barton

3200+ DKV4D [166] x 14 Barton or
DKV4E [200] x 11 Barton

Athlon64:

ADA3000AEP4AP
ADA3200AEP5AP
ADA3400AEP5AP

6 = 2MB cache
5 = 1MB cache
4 = 512KB cache
3 = 256KB cache

==================================================

EDIT: Unlike the above posted info, the following is controverisal as no one except AMD knows for sure what the second part of the CPU marking stands for.

EDIT EDIT: Again:

THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS FOR REFERENCE ONLY.
There are more and more examples contradiciting these initial, possibly wrong opinions.

For example: AIUHB 0248MPMW

See where it says >>MPMW<< after the AIUHB stepping,
MPMW

- The first letter is inconclusive.

- All Athlon XP's have a P as their second letter.

- Those with lower third letters (closer to A) do better than those with higher ones (closer to Z), this is considered to indicate wafer integrity. EDIT: Once again, there are many examples of the third letter 'A' CPUs not being good overclockers making this a very controversial theory.

- Every AMD ever ends in a W. EDIT: Turns out they end in W or have no fourth letter.

If you doubt the validity of the significance of the third letter, consider Gautam's reasoning:

Gautam: said:
Austin was where I first got this info from, btw. What first gave me a heads up about the third letter being significant were the GameVe DLT3C's. Unlike the ones from Excal and SVC, these were nothing spectacular at all. They did about as well, if not worse as a DUT3C, maxing out at 2.2-2.3 on air, 200mhz or more below the DLT3C's. The only thing that looked odd in their stepping codes were the third letter- TPXW. I have seen TPMW's, and they do just as well as any other DLT3C. But these X's were clearly worse. There was a huge thread on amdmb.com about them, and all of them did rather poorly in comparison to other DLT3C's.

One of the best Barton steppings was the AQUCA XPAW. Most that you see these days are AQXCA XPMW's, and they do not seem to do as well. IF you look on the Vr-zone lists of the best overclockers of both Bartons and T-Breds, the front pages are dominated by processors of several stock speeds, but almost all having their third letter as A's, B's and C's. I'll do some more searching, but for now that's the best I've got.

Basically, I've been hunting down the 4 letter codes, and I can't draw any conclusions about any of the letters in it from own findings except for the third letters. TPMW's, UPMW's, VPMW's, WPMW's and XPMW's all perform the same, but an XPAW's seem to be better than XPMW's within the same processor type. All 1700+'s are xPMW's, so we can't say anything for sure about them, but within Barton 2500+'s, xPAW's appear to be better than xPMW's. The difference between A and M appears to be negligible at most, though, but the difference between an M and an S or X is rather large.

Last edited:
AMD won't tell about the "stepping" codes, most of the info we have has been pieced together from bitter experience and overclocking.

You didnt think you could slip in this information about the 3rd letter of the alpha code after the manufacturing date without me passing comment did you? lol. When Austin came up with his theory and it was posted on many sites - a lot of people from "within" the industry came forward to explain why it was flawed. In terms of wafer integrity the problem with this theory is that the wafer itself will have from zero to very minimal variation in it. Indeed the only variation you will find is in the intended cpu's position within the stepper image rather than where it is located on the wafer. It is more accepted that the greatest variation is found batch to batch as more variables are at play (both process and materials) hence the week number is a better indicator of overclockability than this 4 digit alpha.

OC Detective, we meet again.

I know Gautam spoke of the week number being a significant indicator of overclockability. As for the 4 digit alpha being a secondary indicator, I take it your stand is that the following is not true about the alpha code:

"Those with lower third letters (closer to A) consistently do better than those with higher ones (closer to Z), this is considered to indicate wafer integrity."

My stand is that wafer integrity on the wafer itself has very little variance and therefore I cannot agree with the 3rd letter being a relevant factor. If you check the vr-zone site which was used as a reference the cpus giving the high overclocks mentioned and having the third letter as an "A" were all from the same date code and all from Japan 0243. I think this is more relevant than the third letter. Let me try and find the forum where it was discussed in detail (I think it was madshrimps).

Last edited:
Closer to the center will always have higher integrity. It is my belief that the lower letters come from better parts of the wafer. There are more than just A's that overclock superbly; B's and some other low letters also show up as doing very well on the Vr-zone database, and this also applies for Bartons, and outside of the specific week 243. Perhaps certain weeks stick out, but no general trends can be drawn by them. For example, the later is better theory basically holds no truth. But this could go on forever, because only AMD knows the truth, and they sure as hell aren't going to tell us what it is. :bang head:

We have no hope in forming opinions on the subject unless things like this are posted.

I'll delete this post if OC Detective objects but these are strong arguments against the alpha code theory:

OC Detective's opinions:

1. Any production operation first runs are not normally the best and that processes take time to "bed" in.

2. Similarly it is very unlikely that the first batch will receive the "best" materials as in any good manufacturing environment supply of materials is done on a FIFO (first in first out system) so what they would receive would be entirely arbitrary in terms of quality.

3. Going onto whether the 3rd letter merely relates to wafer integrity and nothing else - again this is flawed as when a wafer is produced from sand the key characteristics for inspection are bow and warp, flatness and particle count/contamination. Once made these wafers will be checked for these attributes.

4. If the 3rd letter is based on results at this stage there is a problem because after this there will be a preclean process (prior to manufacture) so the results become to a large degree meaningless. Also after wafer manufacture there are a number of other key external factors which may affect integrity such as storage, transportation, process induced warpage or contamination. These are all external factors which can affect wafer integrity AFTER wafer manufacture and many cannot be quantified until after fabrication. As there are so many variables potentially affecting integrity then logically it is impossible to assign a level of wafer integrity based on the initial wafer production process.

I hope this makes sense as to why I dont believe this theory.

5. One other point is that by and large XP1700's seem to be "M"'s if this theory was correct does that mean that AMD had hoards and hoards of wafers that were "second rate" (could not be classified as A's)? I hardly think that was the case. Also why would they assign such a strange coding system for wafer integrity - they dont even use all the letters of the alphabet! I think the real meaning of what the 3rd letter stands for is somewhat more mundane.

The reason that the 1700+'s are M's is becayse they are lower in wafer integrity. Wafer integrity does not always equal overclockability. In the 1700+'s case, the lower quality, for example, translates into its "dislike" for high voltages. Hitechjb1 made a post supporting this; I'll dig it up.

As to the XP1700 being primarily M's therefore of a lower wafer quality - do you really think they would be running for so many weeks on a lower quality wafer - dont you think they might have had a word with their suppliers long before then (remember lower integrity = lower yield)?
As to the centre fo the wafer being better - this might have been true many years ago but is not true now. As I stated what is important is the position of the cpu within the stepped image (AMD has 6 in each stepped image) not its position on the wafer (which I thought was supposed to be related to the A>J>R scenario anyway).
I have also laid out my reasons as to why this cannot be linked in c627627's earlier post - these are facts rather than mere speculation.
Finally if wafer integrity is not linked to overclockability then the whole subject becomes redundant to us!

Last edited:
Gautam said:
The reason that the 1700+'s are M's is becayse they are lower in wafer integrity. Wafer integrity does not always equal overclockability. In the 1700+'s case, the lower quality, for example, translates into its "dislike" for high voltages. Hitechjb1 made a post supporting this; I'll dig it up.

Gautam, your mention of voltage set off a trigger in my head and I went and scoured the vr-zone database to come up with an alternative theory to what this third letter means, this involved recording data on cpu type, manufacture date and "third letter" of over 80 Tbreds and 25 Bartons (who said get a life OCD?).
My belief is not so much a dislike for higher voltages is exhibited in higher alpha's such as "M" rather that they can operate at default speed at a LOWER core voltage.
My rationale for this is because my research shows that those cpus assigned lower alphas such as A, B and C are typically from higher speed cpus such as XP2400 and above and older XP2200 Tbred A's. When it comes to XP2100's again older models have lower values such as A whereas newer ones from 2003 exhibit letters such as M, N and R. With the XP1700's virtually all of them (the DLT3C's anyway) this year have been M's however last year it was a mixture of M's and lower letters such as D. The DUT3C's XP1700's seem to be mostly lower letters such as A although there are some M's which indicate to me that AMD realised that they could run at lower voltage hence the introduction of the DLT3C!!.
With the Bartons it is even more clear cut the earlier models up to around 0310 have lower alphas whereas those from 0312 exhibit the letter M or higher. This would indicate to me not that wafer integrity is decreasing but that AMD have improved the process as production matures and the voltage needed to run at default has reduced. Indeed perhaps AMD will introduce Bartons to run a lower voltages in the near future lol.
The glaring problem with this is why does the vr-zone have the A,B's and C ranked higher? - thats simple it because the people who are early adopters are also the pioneers who push the envelope with extreme cooling techniques and want to test the newest products straight away.
The best evaluation would be to look at the middle slice of results and compare air cooling figures only and you will see a clearer picture.

That was one of the cautions that I would have made, had I the knowledge or experience (or even time) to go through hundreds of overclocks and correlate results. Extreme cooling will produce very high overclocks on virtually any chip, and the low temperatures physically affect the switching speed of the CMOS transistors themselves, so this is why I discount anything done on a prommy, peltier or PC-in-a-freezer when comparing how well xxxx chip will do in a "normal" overclocking environment, i.e. air or watercooling.

OC Detective said:

Gautam, your mention of voltage set off a trigger in my head and I went and scoured the vr-zone database to come up with an alternative theory to what this third letter means, this involved recording data on cpu type, manufacture date and "third letter" of over 80 Tbreds and 25 Bartons (who said get a life OCD?).
My belief is not so much a dislike for higher voltages is exhibited in higher alpha's such as "M" rather that they can operate at default speed at a LOWER core voltage.
My rationale for this is because my research shows that those cpus assigned lower alphas such as A, B and C are typically from higher speed cpus such as XP2400 and above and older XP2200 Tbred A's. When it comes to XP2100's again older models have lower values such as A whereas newer ones from 2003 exhibit letters such as M, N and R. With the XP1700's virtually all of them (the DLT3C's anyway) this year have been M's however last year it was a mixture of M's and lower letters such as D. The DUT3C's XP1700's seem to be mostly lower letters such as A although there are some M's which indicate to me that AMD realised that they could run at lower voltage hence the introduction of the DLT3C!!.
With the Bartons it is even more clear cut the earlier models up to around 0310 have lower alphas whereas those from 0312 exhibit the letter M or higher. This would indicate to me not that wafer integrity is decreasing but that AMD have improved the process as production matures and the voltage needed to run at default has reduced. Indeed perhaps AMD will introduce Bartons to run a lower voltages in the near future lol.
The glaring problem with this is why does the vr-zone have the A,B's and C ranked higher? - thats simple it because the people who are early adopters are also the pioneers who push the envelope with extreme cooling techniques and want to test the newest products straight away.
The best evaluation would be to look at the middle slice of results and compare air cooling figures only and you will see a clearer picture.

You're definitely making a strong case. In all honesty, I don't really strongly believe in either theory, because each can be disproven, perhaps. But how do you account for the TPXW at Gameve, the worst DLT3C stepping ever, barely capable of 2.3ghz on high end air?

But even if your theory is correct, which it is appearing to be, it can go hand in hand with wafer integrity, and make lower letters a better choice for higher forms of cooling, as DLT3C's don't "like" high voltages- many have problems even posting at high ones, and those that do usually aren't very stable at them and deteriorate quickly. If only someone could by a tray of every AMD being produced and test all of them against each other :p. Then maybe we'd have a clearer picture.

Well I am not saying they will be excellent overclockers merely that they can run at a lower voltage for default speed. The Tbred A's (XP1700) had M as their middle letter and they couldnt overclock either but their default voltage was 1.5v same as the DLT3C's. What is very clear from researching the database is that as the cpu type matures the 3rd letter moves up the alphabet away from A.

Gautam said:
Okay, I think I've had a eureka moment here. I've looked over my previous evidence, and I think I've got an explanation that all makes sense.

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread...ve&pagenumber=8

If you look closely, you'll notice that these do very well at below 1.7v or so, but once you get higher, things begin to fall apart. Several needed 1.8v to reach only 2.3ghz. At lower voltages, they do better, but begin to do progressively worse at higher ones. So, at below 1.7v, the TPXW's do as well, if not better than any, but at higher ones, do a lot worse than most. My friend has one of these, in fact, and an SK6+. It can't even do 2.3ghz, no matter what. If it were an M or higher, then it would have been able to clock higher as more voltage was put in. The diminishing returns were too heavy on this one; it can't take the higher temperatures caused by the voltage. Now, my UPMW, which I have tested under an SK6+ myself went about 100mhz higher than his with identical cooling and voltage; 2369mhz.

This could explain this:

Originally posted by hitechjb1:
Theoretically, the 1700+ DLT3C's have certain properties that can take lower Vcore to do same CPU frequency as other higher Vcore rated ones. Its max stable Vcore would be lower than the 2100+ and 2500+ by about 100-150 mV. It is due to process variation giving transistors of lower threshold voltage (probably you call it "lower" wafer quality). There are good and bad consequence to it. It can run faster at lower Vcore (about 100 mV lower), but would create more heat due to leakage at same higher Vcore, which stops it from going further (due to diminishing return on frequency at around 50C) at higher Vcore like other siblings. Actually, if these 1700+ DLT3C are cooled well at very low temperature that heat due to leakage becomes non-issue, it should perform equally well or maybe even better than the 2100+ and 2500+ due to low threshold, faster transistors (my conjecture, not proved). Eventually, for a given chip, the eventual outcome depends on the tradeoff between the lower threshold (faster) and the leakage (heat), and how the chip was born at silicon, and have to test the chip/stepping on a case by case.

So as we can clearly see, having higher wafer quality does not always equate to higher overclockability. In some cases it can, in some cases it can hurt. OC Detective hypothesizes that those with lower third letters need a higher stock voltage. If they need higher voltages to sustain lower speeds, then in theory, they should end up being able to sustain higher voltages overall, and perhaps, end up ahead of those with lower third letters in some cases. To take this a step further, this can potentially explain why the M's that are most common do so well. They are a sort of compromise between needing high voltages and not being able to sustain them. With this in mind, it makes perfect sense that these are the overclocker's choice. But are they the choice for all overclocks? The highest overclocks in the VR-Zone database have lower third letters across the board. They all use extreme forms of cooling in which a heavily overvolted processor can thrive, provided that in can sustain these voltages. So when pushed to the limits, these higher wafer integrity processors with lower letters do the best, but with lower forms of cooling can potentially do the worst. With the mid-level cooling that most of us have, the middle is what works the best. I may be thinking far out, but you have to admit, it does make plenty of sense ;).

Last edited:
Quote from
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=231286

I do not know what wafer integrity refers to. There are process variations of a given silicon manufacturing process, as any manufacturing process. As a result, the intrsinic silicon proporties, such as transistor channel length and width, gate oxide thickness, silicon carrier doping, transistor threshold voltage, leakage current, ..., of a wafer vary to certain extent (sigma variation). As further scaling down, statistical variation comes into play, namely, nearby transistors in the same chip/wafer can behave differently.

A more interesting question is what the implications of these wafer properties of lower threshold voltage and shorter channel length due to process variation of a manufacturing process are, as I suspect for the the Tbred B DLT3C. It is being rated at lower Vcore but it can run faster than other Tbred B at same voltage. Even it is manufactured with 0.13 micron like other Tbred B, it is effectively behaving like a chip with less than 0.13 micron, resembling the future generation trend.

As the transistor size (channel length) of future generations of silicon chips are scaled down to, e.g., 90, 65, 45, ... nano-meter, the supply voltage, transistor channel length and threshold voltage will be lowered accordingly. Even the supply voltage is lower, the transistors run faster, both current and power density also increase (actual trend). As the transistors are scaled down, logic gate delay decreases, both the active power density (W/cm^2) and the passive leakage power density (both gate and subthreshold) increase. The passive component increases at an even faster pace

For more details about the low voltage Tbred B 1700+, refer to
Why the 1700+ can run so fast at low Vcore?

Originally posted by hitechjb1
Why the 1700+ can run so fast at low Vcore?

The Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C is based on the same 0.13 micron bulk silicon process as all the other model 8 (Tbred A and Tbred B) from XP 1600+ to 2800+ (recently 3000+). (BTW, Tbred B has one more metal layer than Tbred A, both are 0.13u.)

The hammers (Opteron, Athlon 64) are based on 0.13 mircro SOI process, will go to 0.09 mircro eventually.

The Tbred B 1700/1800+ have the same transistor count, same L1, L2 cache size, same number of metal layers, same chip dimensions, ... as the 1.6 and 1.65 V rated Tbred B.

Side track: Same for Barton, which is also based on the 0.13 micron process. But it is a different chip, different transistor counts, chip dimension and has bigger L2 cache of 512KB instead of 256KB in Tbred.

I think the reason why the Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C can work at rated 1.5V and can be clocked at simliar highest clock frequency (if not better) as all the other 1.6V and 1.65V rated Tbred B is due to the following:

Its transistors have lower threshold characteristics due to process variation which produces transistors with shorter channel length. Shorter channel means lower transistor threshold, runs faster, draws larger leakage current and higher active current (hence higher active power). According to AMD spec, the 1.5V 1700+ has higher rated current than the 1.6V 1700+ (about 7% more).

Threshold voltage of a transistor is the gate voltage above which the transistor will conduct current orders of magnitude higher from source to drain compared to that below the threshold. Chips with lower threshold transistors can perform equally well with a lower supply voltage (Vcore) as those with higher threshold, because the transistors can conduct at a lower gate voltage.

This is normal for a given silicon process (say 0.13u) to have such variation that some transistors in certain chip die have shorter channel length (less than 0.13u) or some have longer channel length. Those that have shorter channel length have faster intrinsic speed and can run as fast when smaller Vcore is applied (pros). On the other hand (cons), due to the lower threshold voltage which draws higher leakage current and generates more heat at the same higher Vcore, these chips can run as fast at a low Vcore as the higher Vcore rate chips, but they will max out at a lower Vcore compared to the higher Vcore rated siblings.

The 1700+ has a run-away current at a lower Vcore compared to the 2100+. Run-away current refers to the leakage current and the heat generated positively feeding each other resulting instability.

The final oc success of the Tbred B 1700+/1800+ DLT3C is a race between its natural, born, intrinsic characteristics, the balance and tradeoff between the smaller channel length, lower transistor threshold, hence faster, and the opposing, negative behaviour of higher leakage current, and heat generated.

Last edited:
I am still wondering why there are so many *new* steppings appearing as of late. Why aren't they all just new JIUHBs (which are still being produced as well- I have seen a *lot* of 0334 JIUHBs around as of late) - why are the NIUHB, JIXHB, JIXIB, KIUHB and other 1800+ steppings all being produced now?

Why weren't they appearing earlier, and why would they be developed anyways?

Why is AMD going out of it's way to "develop" and "improve" on their product? Why aren't they simply sticking with the "older" steppings and technology - why the need to continue the steppings when the T-bred processor is becoming obsolete in the wave of Athlon64s and Bartons?

Maybe there is some flaw in my question here - I don't know much about this subject, but would *really* appreciate some insight if anyone has any.

Very interesting thread by the way - hopefully it will continue to be built on.

Back