• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows 2000 pro problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heerboths

I keep having windows 2000 shut down via a memory dump... anyone know what my problem could be with that? I also reinstalled windows to try to get rid of the problem. I don't know where to go next. I have also gotten the bsod when booting up saying my bios is not Acpi compliant I updated the bios a few months back and when I moved this whole issue started up with my computer.

If the problem started when the PC was moved, then reseat all the cards and memory, make sure all cable connections are secure, and you should also reseat the heatsink. (Make sure you have good thermal compound first.)

I tried that myself and nothing happened to help with this problem. I know that everything was working properly for a few days and then it started to do a memory dump and the problem has progressed since then......

Most likely you have a memory or PSU problem. Sounds to me like a memory problem, especially if it's gotten worse.

I'd download and run memtest86. http://www.memtest86.com

If you RAM is defective, this will most likely catch it. I'd recommend letting it run most of the day and overnight if possible. Sometimes if the RAM is very bad off, it'll start giving errors quickly. Sometimes you gotta let it run for a while.

If that doesn't help, then I'd suspect the PSU, and possibly the BIOS. A corrupt BIOS could cause mem management problems, so if the memory and psu check out, a BIOS flash to the latest relase of your motherboards BIOS might help.

Let us know if this helps!!

I am going to try the bios first since I know the psu is good and so is the memory I have been working on other computers with my parts from my computer. I am hoping an updated bios will work good for me......

Breadfan said:
Most likely you have a memory or PSU problem. Sounds to me like a memory problem, especially if it's gotten worse.

I'd download and run memtest86. http://www.memtest86.com

If you RAM is defective, this will most likely catch it. I'd recommend letting it run most of the day and overnight if possible. Sometimes if the RAM is very bad off, it'll start giving errors quickly. Sometimes you gotta let it run for a while.

If that doesn't help, then I'd suspect the PSU, and possibly the BIOS. A corrupt BIOS could cause mem management problems, so if the memory and psu check out, a BIOS flash to the latest relase of your motherboards BIOS might help.

Let us know if this helps!!

i'd have to agree with breadfan. check your ram and make sure you don't have a bad stick. i got all sorts of problems like you seem to be getting when i had a stick going... your ram isn't like a hard drive that just stops working one day... it will slowly die off for a long time...

Last time i got that message, i just pressed the memory sticks in more and no more problems. Maybe you could try that. (I did this when the memory dumping thing appeared)

2kPro will give you the memory dump message when the FSB gets to high.

Back