• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

return or keep 1.1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clearshift

Registered
Hey guys, I ordered a 8rda+ from http://www.ncix.com I asked specifically for a rev2 over the phone, and they said ok, but when it got here today, its a rev1.1:mad:

Now, at first I was jsut going to return it. However now i am thinking maybe I should just keep it. I start college in 2 weeks and want to have this computer running smoothly before then, but if I have to send it back and wait for a new one.. (which those *******s may still send me a rev1.1) then i won't have much time to set it up.

So, a couple questions:

1. Should I send it back and tell them they messed up and that they better send me a rev2, or should i jsut keep it.

2. What seem to be the chances of getting 200fsb without volt modding the chipset, and with only adding say a SB cooler ect.

3. Is the Vdd volt mod hard? Chances of screwing it up?

All I want is to make sure I can get to 200fsb.

Thanks.

Look around and you'll see posts reporting 200 and a good amount beyond w/o vdd mod on ver 1.1's. My own experience is 217 for my non modded 1.1 (well except for cooling). 200 is pretty well a given on 1.1's fitted with the C1 (ultra400) rev NB which is what you should have since its new. Note this preassumes quality memory and as noted the NB and SB generally require cooling assistance. I glued on old 40mm onto the stock NB HS and a small passive sink onto the SB. But thats the extent of the mods. Mem timings 6,3,3,2 @217.

Ya I'm keeping it and I got it all set up last night. It looks like it is the C1 rev NB in CPU-Z. I haven't tried pushing the FSB up much yet, because I still don't have any cooling on my SB.

This is my northbridge... is that the C1 rev?
nforce.jpg

But I put a Zalman Passive heatsink with AC3 on the NB. That stuff they had on the stock HS was like pink bubble gum :eek:

Here's my NB and my Maze4 on the cpu
nb.jpg

So far I've got my Barton 2500+ up to 2135Mhz 170x12.5

And I just want to double check, my multipliers past 12.5 are not supposed to work, correct? I have to blow some bridges to get the higher multipliers right?

Thanks guys, sounds like i'll e having some 200fsb fun :D

Last edited:
That's an A1 aka C1. It should do 200 FSB stock. Btw, you can't get rev 2.0 or 2.1 in North America at this time.

Oh you can't get the rev 2.x in north america.. i thought so, but i guess not eh. :/

Thanks squeakygeek :) , it was expensive, $170cnd for the 512MB PC3200 Rev 2 DDR CL2. More than the motherboard! Terrible when you think about it.. :/ And im going to go buy another stick of it tommrow :p mmmm 1GB ram.... *drool*

Ya, I finnaly read that the A1 = C1 = high chance of hitting 200. So i'm going to get another heatsink tommorow for my southbridge, and figure somthing out for the mosfets, and then i'll see how high I can get it :D

Thanks for all the input guys. :)

ok, I took the cpu multipleir way down, so its not an issue, same with ram speed.

175mhz FSB was stable, so I took it to 185FSB, and it rebooted just after I started 3DMark. The chipset heatsinks aren't very hot, and I have a 80mm fan blowing on my MOSFETS, so I'm guess heat isn't a issue. I guess its jsut not getting enough voltage.

Could ther be anything I'm not thinking of that could be why i can't even do 185fsb ? Or is it time to to the vdd volt mod...

Your memory is a likely culprit.

Relaxing memory timings may help.

If relaxing memory timings doesn't help, set memory to run asynchronously at 60% of FSB. Increment FSB, adjusting Vcore as necessary for Prime95-stability. That'll probably get you to 200 MHz FSB or better. If so, you've just established that you need better memory.

Hope this helps!

ya, my ram is at 60% async, and my cpu is at 7x multiplier, so its about 600Mhz underclcocked. It seems to be stable at 180 fsb, but anything higher than that and it blue-screens/reboots.

So ram and cpu should not be an issue right now. PCI is locked automatically correct? im not sure, im just going to keep trying some stuff, maybe new bios and drivers.

Soon I might lap my northbrige. See if that helps. But I was really hoping to see atleast 190+ fsb with the results you guys have been getting with no vdd mods.

I hope you did the SB cooling. For me, putting the stock NB cooler on my SB along with active NB cooling yielded a +17 FSB increase alone. I subsequently got higher FSBs, but at the time with my unrefined settings, the cooling mods gave me a "sloppy" +17 FSB.

Good luck!

Yup, i've got a little passive heatsink on it with AC3, but i put a 80mm fan blowing at it too, so it should be good.

that seemed to help get about 5fsb more.

But im still stuck at 180fsb.

Hey, im going yo update my bios to the 3716, and I just want to double check so i don't mess up. ..

If im' doing the alt+f2 method, I download the 8rda3716.EXE, extract it, and take ONLY the 8rda3716.BIN file and put it on a floppy right ?? That is for sure the only file I want on the disk?

Take all the files and put them on the floppy. You might want to use one of the 2 bioses before that one though... my max stable FSB with my 8rda+ is 237 with those 2 and with 3716 it's less than 230... that bios is horrible.

Wow, I can't believe it, updating my bios has so far gotten me +30FSB!!!

Before I couldn't get past 180, Now, it seems fine at 210FSB!! I haven't even tried going further yet.. I backed down to 200 and am testing my CPU now! Anywho, wow, if you get even better with the couple bioses before the 3716 q149, then I'll hafta try those!!

Anywho.. off to OC my cpu more, trying to get it stable at 2.4Ghz..

I'd like to see how that goes. I also have a barton 2500+, but i haven't gotten it above 2.3ghz. Unfortunately, I get an error in prime, even at 2.3, over 2 hours into the test. After I get some active cooling on my mofsets and sb, I will resume operation at 229fsb, 10x, which will be 10mhz slower on the cpu, maybe that will help a little.

Back