• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron vs. Athlon 64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigfoot

Ok, i know that as of right now this is mostly speculation but i'd really like to know what some of the REAL differences betwean these two processors are. and if possible, links are nice also.

Since this will mostly be just speculation, maybe i'l resurect this thread in september after the launches...

Opteron is for servers (businesses).
Athlon 64 is for desktops.

It's not like we'll be buying opterons for desktops since they'll be much more expensive.

To put things into perspective for you: Athlon MP vs Athlon XP:

MP = XP with L5 bridge closed + lots of markup.

MPs are essentially SMP-enabled XPs with just the last L5 bridge closed, thats what allows then to run in SMP (Symmetric Multi processing) mode.

We don't buy MPs now so we won't buy Opterons later.

P.S.

* There is no difference between the 940 pin Opteron 1xx and the 940 pin Athlon 64.

* 940 pin vs. 939 pin: The extra pin is required for simultaneous SMP/hypertransport multiprocessing on six layer Opteron motherboards.

http://www.pbase.com/image/17079307/original

Last edited:
c627627 said:

We don't buy MPs now so we won't buy Opterons later.

Well, maybe we will if there is some unknown achilles heel for the A64 on launch. :(

Back