• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buffalo PC3700 = 2700?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dwango

Registered
I bought two 512MB sticks of Buffalo PC3700 RAM with my new system. With my P4 2.6C, I haven't been able to get over 3.0ghz with any sort of stability. At first I just thought I got an unfortunate CPU/RAM/Mobo combo. However, when I ran CPU-Z, the Module information for both of my modules was:

Melco DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 512 MB

I've since learned that Melco is Buffalo's parent company (or something like that), and the chips on the RAM did end with "BH-5". Can anyone with the same RAM verify this? I'm thinking about sending the RAM back and getting a different brand.

Technically, all RAM past PC2700 is overclocked (although I think 3200 may be an official speed now). JEDEC, the organization that determines specs for memory, has not officially mandated any memory speeds above.

Basically, what you are getting with higher rated memory is hand picked modules that are tested by the company to ensure they can run at the rated speed.

None of the memory manufacturers that we commonly deal with - Corsair, Mushkin, OCZ, etc. - make their own RAM chips. For the most part, these are created by a company called Winbond (Samsung is also another big memory maker and I hear Geil makes their own as well). The BH-5 marking you refer to is the proccess code of your particular RAM. BH-5s are actually considered VERY good chips so you should actually consider yourself lucky as most RAM nowadays come in the CH-5 flavor which many consider to be inferior.

You should provide us with specs of your computer so we can help you track down the problem. This could be simply a case of not configuring your BIOS correctly.

I had a pair of those sticks. They use Winbond BH-5 IC's which are pretty good for PC3200 modules. Unfortunately, they relabel them as PC3700's, didn't reprogram the SPID's and most are nowhere near those speeds but, hey, they're cheap memory with good IC's.

What motherboard are you using? Are you trying to get over 3.0ghz at 1:1 memory ratio? Have you tried 5:4? That would give you 3.25ghz easy (memory would run at PC3200).

Unless you want to spend about double what you paid for those for faster memory, I'd just keep them and play with the settings and timings to get the most out of them. I just went thru 5 pairs of memory and these Twinmos is the last pair I'm buying. I mean it this time. Really. :p

-Bobby

Specs:

Retail P4 2.6C
Abit IC7-G (Max II Advance)
1.0GB Buffalo PC3700 (BH-5)
GF3 Ti-200

Right now my FSB:DRAM ratio is 5:4
My memory timings are 2.5:3:3:7 (from SPD)
Vcore is 1.5v, DDR is 2.7v

I'm currently running FSB 231, which seems stable. I haven't been able to get past this yet (only took the vcore up to 1.675, and the DDR up to 2.8 (max))

You really shouldn't need that much voltage to the CPU. Try lowering it to 1.6v and see if you're still stable. -Mine is at 1.6v..

I've also heard of people having overclocking woes when they are using 2 x 512MB versus 2 x 256MB.

Try using stock voltage on your vcore and set your fsb to 250 with that ratio. You shouldn't need to go higher than default vcore at such slow speeds.

-Bobby

Yes, good point.. If you haven't tweaked with default voltage to the CPU then you should. I had no problem running 250fsb with a 5:4 ratio at default voltage. - I did have to increase it to break 255fsb though.

I'd think the problem is the fact that he bought two 512MB sticks of RAM- for if you read around, you'll notice that there are very few people (I'm not aware of any) that have gotten decent mem speeds on an IC7 using two 512MB sticks (in most cases people cannot even get their RAM @ rated speeds without issues). Try reading up on this and look to see if there are any solutions.

I have the exact same sticks dwango. They do well at 5:4 ratio and push your ram voltage up to 2.85. (dont worry they wont get hot) I have tight timings and have my setup to 260FSB stable 24/7 so far.

method().man said:
Technically, all RAM past PC2700 is overclocked (although I think 3200 may be an official speed now). JEDEC, the organization that determines specs for memory, has not officially mandated any memory speeds above.

official pc3200 does exist. pc3700 however IS pc3500 ram just overclocked. i believe the new pc4200 may be an entirely new creature.

JEDEC approved PC3200 (DDR400). Anything above that is most likely o/c'd 3200 memory (5ns IC).

-Bobby

The new Geil PC4000 and PC4200 are indeed both entirely new creatures. They use Geil's own 3.5ns chips. 3.5ns *should*, (as in; is rated to) do 533 at spec, and hopefully OC higher.

There's a few companies using faster IC's. Twinmos, Adata, OCZ and Geil all have IC's faster than 5ns. I'm looking forward to seeing how the BH-4 IC's do, if they ever sell them.

-Bobby

There are also adata 4.5 (on a few generic sticks if you get lucky) and 4.0 (Hard to find from what I hear). 5ns ram is living in the past man. (Hippy voice)

well any news?

i'm on an IS7 and 2.4B with 1 stick of 512MB Buffalo and have another stick of 512 MB Buffalo coming....

Hope that I won't have any problems running dual channels

Back