• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building new PC, need memory suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobertw

hi i'm new to the board and new to overclocking. i'm building a new pc this week and need help choosing which memory to buy. I have a

2.6c
Abit ic7-g

What would be the best RAM to go with this if i'm only planning on bringing it up to around 260-270 FSB ? I dont really care if it's generic RAM or not, I dont care about benchmarking at all since I'm mainly going to be using this machine for gaming.

I'm looking at buffalo 512mb pc3700 at newegg - $99 each, and all I want to know is if that would be good enough.

Thanks

I have heard good things about Geil ram, I am planning on buying a couple of the modules soon, not sure if I'll get 2 256mb modules or 2x 512mb modules thought.

You can buy Geil 2 x 256MB PC4000 from Newegg for $150. They have both the Golden Dragon, and Ultra Platinum versions.
Geil makes their own chips, and they're 3.5ns. Stock timings with both series of memory is CL2.5 4-4-7.

-I just bought the Golden Dragon, but this will be my first experience with Geil.

Usually I only buy Muskin or Corsair, but I figured what the heck...I'll help out the little guy and try a new brand.

I usually go with Muskin. I buy from their own site, http://www.muskin.com. They always have a deal going on, and almost always have free shipping on the weekends. Their RAM is top quality, although a little pricey, and they have good CS. Get 10% off using the SUMMERDDR code at checkout.

I buy Crucial (when on sale) for non-OC'd rigs.

HTH

Back