• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my 2500 is worse than a 2200? help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steve978

I just ran SiSoft Sandra for the first time and ran the Multi CPU Benchmark and the Arithmatic Benchmark in both of these my computer only ran one test and the results were less than that of a 2200xp. Help? Is it because I didn't run all the tests? Do I not have somethig I should have enabled in the bios?

Dunno what it could be aside from other applications stealing cpu cycles. Make sure you shut down all other apps including system tray apps before you benchmark.

What u mean with 'my comp only ran one test? Did it stop? Both the arith and multi test r independent and give results individualy and not correlated to other (or multiple) tests. The perf could vary a little from test to test, but not to much, except if u have other apps and stuff open that consume CPU time.
Is the chip recognized correctly by the BIOS, running at what speed, with the fsb set to what ...? Did u have other applications open (also stuff in the taskbar)? A bit more infos from u and we might find out whats wrong.

I had no other applications running the only processes were system ones. My 2500 is running as a 2500xp @ 1800mhz 13.5 x 133.

I would say that the processor is not running at the rated speed. Check your Cmos. Even if it has a CPU defined option of an XP2500+ you should set it to User define and set it manually. If that is not the problem; everytime i install a new piece of hardware i like to reinstall windows. That always solves little problems that come up before they even do.

Your processor is running the exact same speed as a 2200+. This is why the scores are similar or slightly lower, which is normal. The speed that you should be running at is 11*166, or 1833mhz.

Even though the speeds are equal, the extra 256kb cache does make a difference. I do remember seeing a sisoft sandra benchmark comparing a 2500 to a 2200 and you could see the difference. Mind you, not a very large difference but enough to make its point.

You're correct, but the difference in the multimedia benchmark is next to negligible. In many cases, you may even do a little worse.

I realize the power supply sux for overclocking I found that out when I tried to overlock but that wouldnt affect current speed would it? If its stable at its stock speed

There are 6 places to put a bullet in that gun chamber.
There's only one bullet.

You clicked once or twice.

"but that wouldnt affect current speed"

No it didn't but you're in the middle of clicking for the third time as we speak...

7. Do not spend less than $32 on a power supply (exclamation point):
http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewprodu...factory=1919&description=&srchFor=FSP350-60BN

The number of Watts don’t mean s**t, brands do.
Power Supply Unit can take out all your other components.
Many PSU manufacturers list specs that do not reflect true capabilities of their products so all info on the PSU label doesn't mean much except for the brand, just look for the brand: Fortron Source Power (FSP)/Sparkle (SPI), Antec, Enlight, Herolchi, PC Power and Cooling, TTGI, Vantec.

It's cool. It's really for the benefit of others. I was the first to diss power supplies...

It's not that much of a $ difference between cheapos and that Fortron so untill other reputable brands release similarilly priced PSUs, I think someone will be saved from a world of pain after reading our discussion and not wanting to spend much on a PSU.

Back