• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

shared memory??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkDraco

i noticed in my bios i can change my shared memory to 8/16/32/64

and when i pick one and reboot, it subtracts that from my total ram. what is this for?

This is the memory that your onboard video card uses. It's basically a cheap way of doing onboard video. The video card takes control of whatever amount of ram you specify and the rest of the system cant see/use it. If you can spare it set it to 32 MB or more.

if i understood correctly, you said for onboard graphics. if i use an agp card, does it affect it if i add any shared memory?

If you are using an AGP card, you will want to turn this to 0. I am surprised it even offers the option when you have the AGP card installed, what board are you using?

I agree with SeanOMatic. Check to see if there is an option to use onboard video versus an AGP/PCI card. I don't think it is an autodetect situation. Once the add-on card is selected, the shared memory option should get disabled.

i was just wondering. because my older computer had that option and i didnt know what it was. its using the onboard vga right now. thanks for the help

Back