• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can you use too little thermal grease?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steve978

horrible heat problems

well can you? I know using to much can be a problem but now I just reapplied my thermal grease and reset my heatsink and I'm getting about 10 degrees celcius higher than before and I know I didnt use to much

Last edited:
you should put enough to have a light covering on the entire core.
as long as you see enough compound on the core you should be ok.

I would take the HS off clean everything and star over again, sounds like you dont have a solid connection. Try reseating it.

It doesn't take much to cover the core. Just put a small dab in the middle of the core and install the heatsink. Try practicing a couple of times to get an idea of what you need.

Do not use any solvent or fluid.

errrr I used rubbing alcohol to remove all the scum from the little plastic sticker they put on the bottom of the hs could this be affecting it?

Rubbing alcohol is ok. If you had used something like nail polish remover then i would be inclined to say maybe that would hurt performance since it has oils in it.

It sounds like you just dont have a good connection..

How is the bottom of the HS? is it smooth and reflective? or can you see and feel ridges?

I just read something about lapping

"I could both hear and feel ridges on the base; lapping will improve performance."

In the SLK-800U review. Whats lapping its giving me hope :D

Lapping is using sandpaper in different grits to smooth out the bottom of the HS. Thats how you get rid of the ridges.

There are a couple threads with good instructions on how to do it. Try doing a search and you should find one that will show you how to do it.

If you can feel the ridges as you say then you should increase its performance. Its hard to tell how much.

I think if you have a perfectly lapped heatsink and pristine die, the only TIM you need is enough to fill in the minor trenches/valleys that are still invisible to the naked eye. TIM transfers heat worse than most heatsinks, so you really want as little as you can get away with.

With a perfectly lapped HS and clean die, I apply an extremely thin layer, thinner thana sheet of paper.

I think if you have a perfectly lapped heatsink and pristine die, the only TIM you need is enough to fill in the minor trenches/valleys that are still invisible to the naked eye. TIM transfers heat worse than most heatsinks, so you really want as little as you can get away with.

With a perfectly lapped HS and clean die, I apply an extremely thin layer, thinner thana sheet of paper.

Ok I just lapped my hs and its a perfect mirror, I used 1500 grit sandpaper on it and it looks very good but my temps are still in the 40's is it my fan? vantec stealth 80mm

I really wanna get this thing overclocking D: but if i turn up the voltage now and put it at load ill get 60 degrees easy

Back