• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Holy crap... comp is just shuttin off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeanTownBrawler

I just installed my DVD drive and now when my comp gets to windows, it just shuts off. If you read my overclocking post, do you think it has something to do with this? Is it a voltage problem?

Actually, when I first installed it everything loaded up fine, but then I restarted and went into the bios and changed my temp settings so that my comp would shut down at 60 c or on fan failure (this is something i just meant to do for a while and I happened to get around to it now.) Is my comp overheating or what?

If your case has the original Antec 400W power supply, we should be able to rule-out the power supply as the source of the shut-downs.

I beleive that the NF7-S uses the core internal diode reading for shut-down protection and 60C is way too low for that setting. My slightly overclocked 1800 T-bred A reaches 65C during load. And booting to windows is a load on the system. Try setting this to at least 70C as it is meant to be a fail-safe for rare overheating.

It is probably the fan failure thing that messed it up. You probably don't have your heatsink fan plugged into the the three pin thing that says CPU Fan underneath it. So the BIOS thinks that there is no fan in at all and the computer shuts off. Plus 60c might be a little low for the temp shutdown as Graphic67 just said. Good Luck!

Matt

good call mdcomp... the mobo isnt reading the cpu fan. in fact its not reading any fans. i know they are all plugged in, do they have to be in certain places?

Just make sure you have a fan plugged into at least the cpu and system? fan plug on the motherboard. I just have some case fan sensor wire plugged into mine since I don't use it to cool my cpu. I had a similar problem when I went water.

If FOC (fan off control) is enabled and there is no fan plugged in you will get BEEPS. Are you getting anysort of beep codes before it shuts off?

no... but dont worry i fixed it. the comp thought the fan was unplugged, so i shut that feature off and now it works. thx

Back