• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 64's????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buddha1822

uhhmmm I mighta missed it in a search or something, but I was just wondering what info you got on the athlon 64's.... i was considering upgrading to a Barton 2500+ but I think I'd rather save my $$ for an Athlon 64 when they come out....

anyone know prices on them (2ghz+)???

and also, does anyone know if they are fully compatible (to the extent of like a BIOS upgrade) with older Athlon XP boards (i.e. my a7n8x dlx)??

lastly, incase u hadn't read this, this is why I am continuing my interest in the Athlon 64's:

The Athlon 64 chip from Advanced Micro Devices is coming out toward the end of September, and software that takes full advantage of the chip won’t be that far behind.

Microsoft will release a version of Windows optimized for the chip in the fourth quarter of this year or the first quarter of 2004, Marty Seyer, vice president and general manager of AMD’s microprocessor business unit, said in an interview this week. The beta version of the operating system will become available in “late Q3,” he added. That’s slightly later than the midyear release of the beta Microsoft had promised earlier, but the estimated release schedule of the final version conforms to the expectations of most analysts.

Microsoft declined to give a timetable for the final release of the product, but it reiterated that the beta would come out "toward the middle of the year." The Redmond, Washington-based software developer has said it will offer desktop and server versions of the 64-bit Windows for the AMD chip. Game developers will also be coming out with software tweaked for the chip. Epic Games, for example, will come out with a patch for the 32-bit version of "Unreal Tournament 2003" that will allow the game to take full advantage of the processor's 64-bit capabilities.

They'll be announced September 22, 2003.

Different motherboards will be required to use them. Those new motherboards will not be compatible with Athlon XP CPUs.

It'll be three months before you'll really have any options with Athlon 64's.

Prices are a matter of speculation like this:
http://www.overclockers.com/articles797/

P.S.

That's a great overclock you have but can't you go with higher FSB / lower multiplier with that RAM & that nForce2 mobo?

P.P.S. With an overclock like that you wouldn't have really noticed any significant change by switching from 2100+ T-Bred B to 2500+ Barton, I don't think.

Last edited:
FYI that 64-bit version of Windows is not going to be released until 2004.
Beta versions will start testing later this year though.

better to go wiht wats tested and go wtih barton/xp =d wait another year before buying a 64 the technology is too new you'll prob have nothing but trouble..

if you do buy it you'll just be a guinie pig for AMD/Your Mobo company and Microsoft =d

I wonder If there will be a socket 754 nForce 3? or is it just 939/940?

But whatever it is there will be very few or no avable motherboards at the Lanch, just like the opteron.

Back