• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Side case fan bad idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

billstuck

I read a review that said having a case fan blowing in on the side actually raised temps because it distrupted air flow.

My problem is I have an Antec 3700 with 2 120mm fans intake and exhaust.

When I put the side of the case on my CPU load temps go up 5C. I want to drop this and was thinking of buying a window side panel with a fan, but don't know if it will help.

For now I just leave the side of the case off.

As long as you have very good positioning, I think a side fan would be a good idea.

Usually side fans are located directly over the CPU - to provide direct room-temperature air, or directly over the video card.

I wouldn't worry about disrupting airflow, as the inside of a computer case is anything but aerodynamic.

I would try to have a balance of intake/exhaust fans though.

Well, if the side of your case is removed your airflow is already completely disrupted.

I'm a big fan of side fans though. You'll hear people gripe about their disruptive properties from time to time, but if you have well balanced intake/exhaust and, as mattspalace mentioned, position the fan correctly, it can be very beneficial. Basically, you are feeding cooler room temp air directly onto your mobo/CPU, which it's needed the most. Front intake passes through most of the case before hitting your crucial components; absorbing heat all along the way.

Another wonderfully efficient side-fan method is to use a duct leading from the HSF on your CPU, right out the side of the case. This way the CPU is feeding directly off room-temp air, it only comes in contact once it passes over the HSF.

If you're willing to do a bit of work, you can cut out a cardboard box and put a fan on there to see if it really makes a difference. If it does, go for the new side panel. If it doesn't, stick with what you've got.

-Bobby

Back