• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need most powerful 80 mm in the world

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bulk88

I need a very high power 80mm fan. I want atleast 60 CFM from it. I don't care about the noise. This is for a dual processor MB in a fairly tight case. The CPUs each have a hose feeding air to them from the front of the case. I can't put the side panels on becasue there will be too much air pressure inside the case. So I need a extreamly power fan to get rid of the air. Also I can't put any fans on the top or side of the case because this computer stands in a rack with computers above and to the sides and below it. The rear has 1 80mm opening.

The Smart Fan II at full speed gives you 75CFM. It's not as noisy as a tornado. It's actually pretty quiet for me. you an also go with a noisy 80mm Tornado for 84CFM, if you'd like.

nerdlogic said:
you an also go with a noisy 80mm Tornado for 84CFM, if you'd like.

Anything higher than 84 CFM? Remember this a server room, noise is irrelavent.

bulk88 said:

Anything higher than 84 CFM? Remember this a server room, noise is irrelavent.

From what've I've seen by looking through various webpages, I can't say that I've seen any 80mm fans higher than 84cfm.

if u really want high powered i could mod u an 80 mm fan with a 24,000 rpm motor on it but needs 18 volts to run it will run on 12 but wont be @ 24,000 rpm t will be a good150 cfm fan and loude

another vote for the Tornado here. Its definatly the most powerful 80mm fan you can pick up under normal circumstances

Go with vantec stealth... nice and quiet :D

hehe, just kidding. tornado is what your looking bulk88.

yeah tornado,, lol let him mod u one,, id love to see the pics and its ratings...

I think I read something somewhere this one time (deliberately vague lol) about removing the sticker on the fan to get to its insides and then removing a small plastic clip/disc/thing and this made the fan spin faster, thus moving more air.

Does anyone know what I am talking about or is the 60 hour week I just worked finally affecting me?

i think its the 60 hour week
no what i do is i take a vantec 80mm or 92mm tornado take out the moter pretty much i break it down to just plastic then i take a Super-Speed 9 to 18VDC Hobby Motor there $4.99 @ radio shack with all the guts out of the fan i fill the center with jbweld let it sit for 24 to 48hours make shure it is total dry all the way thru then procede to find the exact center so my fan doesnt woble all over the place drill a whole just a little to small for the tip of the motor to fit thru then coat the tip of the motor in more jbweld and shove it through the hole make shure when u drill the hole u dont go thru the plastic let that sit over night then with more epoxy glue the motor back to the frame of the fan may need to cut the back out and slide it thru then glue around the edge so it doenst move let that sit for a day then all your wiring then hook it up but get a bay bus cause this thing will be loud enough to wake the dead i used one in my old rc car and could still here it @ half power 2 blocks down the street

i am in the process of moding one of these but have to mod my heatsink first wanna use it for my cpu fan the motor is about 2 inches long so need to drill some of my heatsink out

Last edited:
countermods said:
if u really want high powered i could mod u an 80 mm fan with a 24,000 rpm motor on it but needs 18 volts to run it will run on 12 but wont be @ 24,000 rpm t will be a good150 cfm fan and loude

The closest you can get in a computer is either 17v (+5v and -12v)or 24v (+12v -12V). No 18v. Also where the heck am I to find a 24,000 RPM fan?

Also I can't fit anything except a 80mm fan becasue the screw cut outs are for 80mm. I think a 92mm would fit I am not taking the chance of it physically not having room in the case (I can drill the holes fine).

countermods said:
i think its the 60 hour week
no what i do is i take a vantec 80mm or 92mm tornado take out the moter pretty much i break it down to just plastic then i take a Super-Speed 9 to 18VDC Hobby Motor there $4.99 @ radio shack with all the guts out of the fan i fill the center with jbweld let it sit for 24 to 48hours make shure it is total dry all the way thru then procede to find the exact center so my fan doesnt woble all over the place drill a whole just a little to small for the tip of the motor to fit thru then coat the tip of the motor in more jbweld and shove it through the hole make shure when u drill the hole u dont go thru the plastic let that sit over night then with more epoxy glue the motor back to the frame of the fan may need to cut the back out and slide it thru then glue around the edge so it doenst move let that sit for a day then all your wiring then hook it up but get a bay bus cause this thing will be loud enough to wake the dead i used one in my old rc car and could still here it @ half power 2 blocks down the street

WHAT?!

it will be the size of an 80mm fan just have a new motor in it it may be a bit longer thoe width wise

Back