• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SK-7 vs slk900u?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TomaHawk47x

for about $35, i can get the sk-7 and a smart fan 2. for about $60, i can get the slk900u and a smart fan 2. what kind of cooling difference would i notice on an OCed barton 2500+ on an abit nf7-s rev2? also, is the difference between those 2 cooling solutions worth the $25?

i think it would be under 5C

You definatly would see a temp drop when using the 900 but im not sure if it would be worth the 25$ thats a choice for you to make

but remember you can use a 90mm fan with the 900 witch means you could have a quieter fan with the same performance

If you are going to OC or transport your machine, get the 900. I upgraded from an SK-7 w/ 50CFM fan to an SLK-900 with 49CFM 92mm fan and got 5*c less (maybe I just got better and greasing a HS :)

if you go for teh SLK 900 then why are you gonna fit a smartfan?!?! they aree only 80 mm and you can fit a 92mm fan on there man.

Check out the Enermax 92mm Adjustable fans, they are better built better looking and ultimately a far better product than these comical smartfans LMFAO

Man, those prices are terrible though. At SVC, you can get an SK-7 for $16 and a SmartFan2 for $10. That's a total of $26. Or you can get an SLK-900U for $45, and the SmartFan2 for $10 for a total of $55. Also, Excaliber has a good deal on the SLK-900U, for $45, shipping of $5 but you also get $4 off so it ends up at only $46 shipped.

what about sk-7 w/ 3750 rpm adjsutable ystech, vs sk-900 w/ 92 tornado? what would be the temp differences (noise is little concern compared to high performance :0)

from what i've read, slk series performs better overall, but really performs better at lower rpms cuz of the free flow base. if you like quiet + cool, then slks for you.

i think this will depend on how much noise you can handle, and what you expect to do with it.

if you are looking for the best cooling, all all cost, i'd go for the slk-900, with a tornado . i have the slk-800, with a 92mm tornado, and i love it.

dollar for dollar, the sk-7 is great "bang for the buck", and gives the most for your money, but if it's not enough, you might have to spend a lot more for the slk-900, to get minimal increase in performance.

i also have used the ax-7, which is a nice heatsink, but doesn't do quite as well at lower cfm...... the all copper sk-7, and slk series will do good with low cfm, and great with high cfm.

i have reached 2640mhz on air with the current slk-800/tornado combo i use now, but this tornado is a bit loud. i also have some loud 120mm exhaust blowholes, and 3 more tornado 80mm intakes, and 2 52cfm intakes, so, sound is not going to bother me much. the noise does get annoying at times, as my pc is in the living room, and my wife and kids don't like this noise when they are watching tv....

it is tough for us to pick your choice for you, but we must consider your priorities, as well as cost. usually small gains in cooling cost a bundle more than the "bang for the buck" options....

if you want the best cooling, and money isn't a big object, go for the gusto, but if you are into "bang for the buck", the slk-900 is just too pricey. either way, i will get one sooner or later...thermalright is coming out with a heatpipe version of their copper heatsinks, and this will most likely drive down the slk-900 prices, and at that time, i will be looking for the slk-900 a version...which is the newer slk-900 with the socket "a" clip, instead of the "bolt on" mounting system. i do , however, have concerns about the weight of that heatsink , hanging from the ziff socket, so, i may just go for the bolt on in the long run..

i hope this has helped you decide. sometimes we buy bang for the buck, and later wish we had taken the plunge and bought the best.......other times we kick ourselves for paying too much for such small gains...

i seriously doubt you will be disappointed in either purchase, but i do suggest the tornado if noise is not a concern. ;)

Jah Warrior said:
if you go for teh SLK 900 then why are you gonna fit a smartfan?!?! they aree only 80 mm and you can fit a 92mm fan on there man.

Check out the Enermax 92mm Adjustable fans, they are better built better looking and ultimately a far better product than these comical smartfans LMFAO

The Enermax puts out less CFM at full speed AND is 92mm, which produces less static pressure. Sure you get less noise, but at a performance loss due to 2 conditions (CFM & static pressure).

Back