• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard for new System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Derian

Registered
Because one of my classes this semester is cool as hell, I'm building a computer for my "project." (Like I wasn't going to do it anyways.)

Anywho, I need to know what motherboard to go with. There probably won't be any overclocking, but I'm not opposed to getting one capable of said oc'ing. I'm planning to probably use an AMD XP 2600.

I was hesitant to post this, because it seems like every other post is someone asking for a new mobo. After searching and so forth, it seemed none of the topics were right. So I gave in and posted. This comp will be mostly used for gaming, as I'm in need to upgrade to handle new things (HL2, DoomIII). I don't want/need onboard sound (Going with an Audigy 2) or Video (Haven't decided on vid card yet, probably an FX 5600), and that is the main reason I'm hesitant to buy an NF2. Although... How is the sound quality on those? Hmm... *Thoughtful aura*

Go with an NF2, I think that's the only sensible choice today.

Perhaps the Soltek SL-NV400-L64 for $76 at newegg?
Check out the review at:
http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=244
Even though this board has the cheaper single channel nforce2 400, it beats the nforce2 400 ultra when it comes to gaming (see the link).

The onboard sound on this one is 6-channel realtek (not nf2) and probably not the best around, but perhaps decent enough... You could always plug in an audigy 2 later.

you should go wiht an NF7-S and as for the CPU i would prob go with a 2500+ its a whole lot Cheaper and OCs quite well.. its good to know that the headroom is there ;d

Back