• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a good hsf combo for my 2.8c

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bjgood

Registered
I have no idea what heatsinks are good and bad, and am able to spend up to $30 for the heatsink, fan, and shipping. Also, I'd like it to be relatively quiet. It doesn't need to be silent, because my generic case fans are sort of loud, but not loud enough to be annoying. Also, it needs to be able to fit on the normal bracket assembly on my motherboard (GA-8IPE1000 pro) With that in mind, what do you recomend? BY the way, I will only be doing mild-moderate overclocking.

Its a shame that you only have $30 to spend. Thats like right on the threshold of how much you would need for a really great heatsink. I would suggest the coolermaster heatpipe for the PIV. You can get it from svc.com for like $21.00. Good luck!

cherryp00t said:
Thermalright AX478 =d is the way to go with a panaflo =d

They've been discontinued and hard to find nowadays. Also, many users report the upper heatsink of it ripping off the base. Its a good cooler... If you can find it.

sorry for taking so long to respond, but how much more would I need to spend for a "really great heatsink," and what did you have in mind? I can probably spend a little more if it will really help.

Have you checked out the reviews from the link on the homepage? Their performance is ranked on a huge table. Just get the best performing one with the money you have.

Honestly, if you're only doing mild overclocking, the stock heatsink/fan are actually pretty decent.

For $30 I'd get the Vantec Aeroflow - Pretty good cooler really.

For a little more, you can get the Thermalright 800-U or 900-U, but those can get pricey - ~$50 by the time you add a decent fan.

You can also consider the Zalman 7000AL-CU for about $40 shipped, or the 7000-CU for about $45 shipped.

Yeah, the stock heatsink isn't bad. If you want to get more than a couple more megahertz out of your processor, you're going to have to spend $45+.

Unless you can find a used AX-478 or SLK-800U in the classifieds.

I just got the zalman cnps7000-cu and it is a monster, it lowered my temps both idle and work (ok they are always at load F@H) by 7-8C verses the TtValcano 7+ :D granted it s a big heat sink but it works :D

Last edited:
get the sk7 with the p4 adapter... then get the tt sf2. the hsf is about $15, the adapter is $5. looks like the hsf went up a few $ now... they had the adapter at sidewindercomputers.com.

those sk7 p4 adapters aren't currently up on sidewindercomputers website, but i e-mailed them and was told that they do currently have them and they will be available on the site shortly. nice guy and a very quick reply. btw, i'm shocked there isn't a few intel guys here using the sk7. kickass heatsink for you for about $22...

thermalright p4 adapters are back in stock for $5 edit

Last edited:
After doing more research, I've decided that I want to get the Zalman CNPS7000-Cu. I found it here http://www.mpcparts.com/DETAIL.ASP?SEARCH=110150 for $37 with free shipping. It's a bit more than I hoped for, but it looks like a good quality hsf.

But before I get it, I have just a few questions. Since it's very big, I'm worried it might hit the ram, northbridge hs, or row of capacitors on my motherboard. How can I find out if it fits without buying it? My MB is a GA-8IPE1000 pro. Also, it is very heavy, and I want to know if the extra weight will cause any problems. For example, can I still carry it around to lan parties etc if I'm carful?

Goto zalmans site . Click on the 7000-cu and scroll down. Somewhere along the way you will find 3 pictures that show what you will need to measure to see if it will fit on your computer. There is also a list of compatible mobos in that area if it is similar to the 7000A section. Also note that this hsf weighs 773 grams, which is way over spec. Shouldn't be too big of a deal as long as you don't move your computer too much.

I think that I only paid 35 dollars at SVC for my Zalman 7000ALCU. This version is half aluminum and half copper. It is both lighter and cheaper then the all copper version. This heatsink is even lighter then a SLK 900 with a fan.

VERY quiet ( quieter then stock ) and very good cooling. Dont forget a tube of thermal paste. The arctic ceramique cools about 1 degree cooler then the artic silver plus its non conductive. so if you ever need to do your video card you will already have some decent paste that wont fry it.

Back