• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP... SP1 worth installing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IR1

Title says it all should I install SP1... right now I am not having any problems with my computer. But I want to know are there any real benefits to install sp1? I dont think I want to but maybe you guys can tell me why I should.

nahmus said:
I have SP1 on all of my XP boxes and I've had nothing but smooth sailing.

Yeah same here. I have had plenty of experience running sp1 on several boxes at home plus countless at work. Its a safe upgrade.

besta grab it, resolve those security flaws, especially the one where someone can wipe out your whole drive with a click of a html link.

if M$ ever released a "complete" OS the first time, there would never be a need for all these damn service packs. alas, they are fallible programmers pushed by dollars and deadlines instead of efficiency and quality... anyway, install it... ; )

Whats this?? A day without a Critical Update, I knew today was going to be a good day.

I never get critical updates on my Linux box, it was free and no one hacks at that and they don't threaten to put me in jail for making backup copies of my legal software.

Do you guys have the original SP1, or the new SP1a?

I have the original SP1 saved so when I format I can reinstall it.

Whats the diff between the 2?

^^^ There is no difference really. If you have one, you dont need the other.

Btw, you saved the sp1, you didnt know that you can integrate sp1 into a copy of windows xp?
meaning, you can take your original xp disk, copy the files to your computer, take the sp1 service pack, and combine those files into the xp files you copied to your computer making your xp files windows xp with service pack1 and then burn those files to a image on a blank cdr , with the original boot image so it boots from when you turn on your computer as usual.
The ending result, is a Windows xp with service pack 1 cd.
When you install xp, the service patch files are all ready in the install.
if you want to know how
Do a search in google for integrating service pack 1 into windows xp.
if you need more help , pm me.

Some of you may know my feelings about WinXP ;)

But XP SP1 is fantastic: in my case it took a laptop that could barely be used and made it decent.

Before SP1 I completely hated WinXP as it was completely unreliable on that machine- crashes, changing settings....simply horrible.
After SP1 I came to merely dislike WinXP- tremendous improvement! Crashes only came once or twice a day instead of once or twice an hour; network settings only changed themselves once a week or so instead of every other day....and so on.

If you run WinXP I highly recommend ALL service packs and updates be installed. :)

^ how you get so many problems with your laptop and xp?

You shouldnt have any crashes even in 1 day.
I run for weeks with out crashes, on laptop and my desktop.

?

axegrinderbill said:
i have a friend who has a pirated version of xp pro. is is safe to install the sp1 pack from the microsoft website?

That's a bad topic. Review the rules please. There's no discussion of warez here.

Back