• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

getting rid of xp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rashio_UK

hi,
could i ask 1 question?
i have just got my new pc and installed xp pro on it but when i try to install my internet it closes the window and does not let me do it.

so i am going to get rid of xp pro and install ME or 2000 but i dont know how to uninstall xp pro and put ME or 2000 on?

i want to format my pc so how do i do it with xp pro?

thanks

could some 1 please help?

all i need to know is how do i create a startup disk on XP pro to get in to the bois so i can format my pc?

If you are starting from scratch (fresh install) of 2000 (I would not recomend ME but thats just me.) when you boot from the 2000 CD you will get an option to delete the current partition. Delete the partition and then creat a new one. If for some reason the install does not give you that option then get a win98 startup disk and boot from it. Once booted run Fdisk and delete any partitions you see. If the partition is NTFS is might come up as NON-DOS, i dont remember. then try the 2000 install again.

good luck

Rashio_UK said:
could some 1 please help?

all i need to know is how do i create a startup disk on XP pro to get in to the bois so i can format my pc?

Sorry I did not see that. You cannot creat a startup disk like you could in 98. You can create rescue disks but its not the same. You can use a 98 startup disk to format your drive or so it from the 2000 install

Id still recommend xp, if you got that problem, work with it, it's worth it, 2000 is just as good, but xp just have all the good eye candy if your comp can handle it.
If anything, reformat and try xp again. A simple problem like that should not stop you.

Btw, if you had a boot image in your LEGAL copy of xp ( wish all do ), it would give you the option to format the drive to fat 32 or ntfs , all you do is restart your computer, make sure your booting from cd first in bios settings, push a key when it says" press any key to boot from cd" then it loads drivers, and follow the directions, then right after it formats, soon as it gets to 100% and you see it cut to the next screen, just press restart button on your comp, take out the xp cd, and insert the other operating disk.
either that, or you could just throw the windows 2000 pro cd in and i think you can format through that install from beggining.

agee with TechnoNRGKid; keep xp if you can... could you clarify what you mean by your internet not being able to install? if you mean connecting to the internet when you originally try to install xp, then don't do it... instead, reinstall xp from the beginning and when it asks you to "make an internet connection", just skip it... after the installation is complete, then set up your connection... hope this helps... good luck...

If you would like to keep XP pro, give us some specs of your system and more details of the problem. With 30000+ members , I am sure we can help you fix your problem so that you can keep XP and all the eye candy that comes with it.

Tread

Edit: To make a start up disk in XP right click on the floppy drive in 'My Computer' and click format. It will then give you the option to make a start-up disk.

niter said:
instead, reinstall xp from the beginning and when it asks you to "make an internet connection", just skip it... after the installation is complete, then set up your connection... hope this helps... good luck... [/B]

Hmmm, That gave me another idea actually. He said his internet connection window closes when he trys setting it up, thats after the installation of xp? i dont clearly understand this, but when you install xp, there are options to set up your internet connection, that might work, were you skipping this step before? Might work,depending on your drivers needed.

Like for my soundcard, i have to cancel the install that xp trys to do of setting up my 5.1 card. And manually install drivers for it from my manufactures site.

::shrugs:: just throwing some ideas out there now.
My broadband connect is installed by default when i install xp. soon as i get into xp, it's ready to go.

i second everybody on WinXp, So far for me setting up internet and stuff hasn't been easier then Xp makes it. i alwas had trouble setting up a cable modem and another dial up provider at the same time.
In Xp it's automatic, well almost.... i have to say that I have the pro version, don't know if it makes a difference or not.

C=ANY change is not always a step forward, but in this case it is.

Back