• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI Bus speed is whacked?!?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oratel

Registered
Hey guys, here I am again. After blowing a cheap power supply on my first OC (what are the odds?) I went out and picked up an Antec True Blue 480 and now I'm ready to try again. This is my rig:

AMD 2800+ Barton
Thermatake Volcano 9 (to be replace on Tuesday by Vantec Aeroflow)
Asus A7V8X-X mobo
512 Kingston DDR333
Sapphire 9500 pro (oc'ed 364 core 310 memory)
120 gb western digital
Antec Plusview SOHO full of fans
Antec True blue 480 watts

This is my dilemma. When I try to raise the FSB speed on this stupid mobo it raises the PCI speed. On my first oc attempt I set it to 175/50 1.85 vcore and 13X multiplier and KABOOM power supply went. I was told that at /50 mhz on the PCI bus it shouldn't even boot but it did and it launched Windows. WHAT'S UP with that and what max safe settings can you guys recommend so as to oc it to the safest limit?

Any help is as usual greatly appreciated. Damn I'm hooked onto these forums. hehe
:D

Specs are 33, safe max is oh, 36-38.

You have a /5 divider so that's around 180 FSB safe max.

PC2700 RAM may or will hold you back so... 166 FSB + whatever it can take above that.

Read your mobos manual to find out about this /50 setting. I think others told you it should be 33.

I would spend a minute or ten reading this before changing any default settings:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207088

Any particular reason why you chose to go with Vantec Aeroflow and not Thermalright?

Last edited:
I think you might wan't to rephrase your response.. the heatsink does have an effect on the amount of noise.. I remember reading a review about the Aeroflow and how its heatsink design cuts back the noise.

c627627 said:
Specs are 33, safe max is oh, 36-38.

You have a /5 divider so that's around 180 FSB safe max.

PC2700 RAM may or will hold you back so... 166 FSB + whatever it can take above that.

Read your mobos manual to find out about this /50 setting. I think others told you it should be 33.

I wouldn't spend a minute or ten reading this before changing any default settings:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207088

Any particular reason why you chose to go with Vantec Aeroflow and not Thermalright?
To be honest I didn't even consider the Thermalright only because I overlooked it. I chose the Vantec because of it's cooling capability as well as the low noise. I have a soho tower that is full of fans that make noise and the one that annoys me the most is the Thermaltake Volcano 9 which is super loud and don't cool for sh*t.

God I really wish there were a store that had these things out on display to listen to...

Back